Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

OccludedFug t1_je516zl wrote

The hard part is lining up 83 Olympic sized swimming pools to catch the outflow of one second of Amazon River, second after second.

midnightspecial99 t1_je5yg5d wrote

What is the source of water for the Amazon? What is feeding it at that rate?

maybe_there_is_hope t1_je62fix wrote

Mainly the Andes, rivers and lakes from there. Also, lots of water from the Pakaraima Mountains, on the Guyanas too.

Tusk-Dentist t1_je4znsz wrote

rblythe999 t1_je7r4zu wrote

There’s an Amazon driver/urine joke in there, but I’m not gonna go lookin’ for it.

382Whistles t1_je8zxy4 wrote

According to our records that package wasn't scheduled to be delivered by us.

Maybe U.P.s-ed it out?

(There is a kidney stone joke in there somewhere too. No eye woodn't go lookin' close)

FunkyBotanist t1_je60hke wrote

For context, the Mississippi River: 18,434 sq m/s. The Amazon River: 224,000 sq m/s. Wow!

DOGEweiner t1_je6hk7y wrote

That's 224,000,000 litres/second! Absolutely incredible

zachzsg t1_jeb2h4z wrote

The mouth of the amazon river is also over 200 miles wide. If they were to build a bridge over it, it’d take about 4 hours to cross driving at highway speed

kozmonyet t1_je65pz2 wrote

Damnit. Now I need to translate Olympic swimming pool area into football fields and multiply by an estimated human height when standing on another's shoulders to get a grasp on that volume.

Why can't they just stick to easy common references like washing machines or cars??!?

IslandBoyardee t1_je86tkg wrote

Just remember that a football field is about 7 giraffes, and the conversion is fairly simple from there.

fissionpowered t1_je58e4g wrote

Wow. That means it would completely replace the water in the Atlantic ocean every two seconds!

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/106ee8t/my_local_news_station_published_an_article/

tyler1128 t1_je63dta wrote

Reminds me of the US politician who talked about Guam flipping over. Enjoy.

reddit_user13 t1_je5ic0k wrote

Americans will do anything to avoid metric.

dochoiday t1_je6pv95 wrote

Olympic swimming pools are measured in metric…

sedolopi t1_je6vx5m wrote

1 Kilo Olympic swimming pools is 1000 Olympic swimming pools.

Uncle_Budy t1_je550k5 wrote

Also really cool, along it's entire length, there are no bridges built over the Amazon River.

Marconidas t1_je73kip wrote

Ironically, it is the least used drainage basin of the South American continent. More outflow and more length is good ... up until certain point. And the Amazon River far exceeds the optimal gains. There is simply so much water in the basin that it disturbs the idea of putting bridges or anything over the river. The river is so massive and with a heavy rainforest nearby that using it for commercial purposes for industrial usage is hard. Channeling it for agriculture is also not useful because there is so much rain in the region that the floodplain is not fertile due to extreme natural leaching, making it useless.

You would think that having a bigger river would develop the region more, but the Amazon region is the least economically developed in Brazil, and most countries with rivers that drain into the Amazon River have also failed to economically develop.

ShEsHy t1_je7rkyf wrote

> There is simply so much water in the basin that it disturbs the idea of putting bridges or anything over the river.

Not to mention that, IIRC, the seasonal flooding is just insane, flooding an area the size of Germany or something like that. And the width of the river doesn't help, as it averages several kilometres wide even during the dry season, and several dozen kilometres during the wet season.
It's a monster, and now I wanna see some documentaries about it again :).

throwawayA511 t1_je6cmdc wrote

I remember reading about the movie Dead Alive and it saying that during the lawnmower scene fake blood was pumped at 5 gallons per second. I thought that was so impressive that I had to see it. This is 58 MILLION gallons per second. It’s incomprehensible.

bananavernier t1_je5q58w wrote

or fill one Library of Congress every 11 to 12 seconds.

NosyObscurity26 t1_je64pbv wrote

To convert this to Olympic-sized swimming pools, which have a volume of approximately 2,500 cubic meters each, we can divide the Amazon River's average discharge by 2,500.

snacktonomy t1_je6nmzv wrote

Humanity: "For now! But we're working on it"

Cetun t1_je6x9vt wrote

That actually seems low.

Historical-Fox1372 t1_je8rk1m wrote

That was my reaction. Don't get me wrong, that's a lot of water, but I thought the Amazon would pump more. Its 25 miles wide at some points in rainy season and still 7 miles in the dry. An absolutely monstrous stream of water.

onairmastering t1_je78kpz wrote

Holy shit, a bunch of my country's rivers! \m/

krectus t1_je5s6ki wrote

Oh god let’s hope they don’t hold an Olympics on the Amazon river anytime soon.

1320Fastback t1_je5163p wrote

How many foredeck cruise ship pools is this? I've never seen an Olympic pool before.

−1