Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

moal09 t1_jdk5tp1 wrote

Honestly, even now, I've met some filipinos who don't consider themselves asian.

pantsareoffrightnow t1_jdl0b3n wrote

Not sure why you’re downvoted because many Filipino people do consider themselves “Pacific Islander” and separate from Asian

10YearsANoob t1_jdl9lvk wrote

Because it's not a common viewpoint from the Philippines or immigrant Filipinos from not America. This is purely an American phenomenon. Same with still calling it Philippine Islands (PI). It's PH.

pantsareoffrightnow t1_jdmcxed wrote

I mean. It is a common viewpoint coming from someone in the Filipino community lol.

10YearsANoob t1_jdmhb9x wrote

> community

That clues me that you are american my friend. I said it's not a common viewpoint from immigrant filipinos not from america

10YearsANoob t1_jdl9tcr wrote

I've noticed this is purely an American phenomenon. Might be because of the insane amount of racism the asians got back then so they branded themselves as pacific islander and it just stuck through the generations and because immigrant populations rarely mix in with the general populace when there's too many of them, new immigrants just adopt the new label too.

Also calling it Philippine Islands (PI) is a purely American phenomenon too. It's PH not PI.

moal09 t1_jdlab5k wrote

Yeah, the filipinos I'm talking about are specifically filipino-americans.

I even personally had a filipino friend who I referred to as "asian" once, and he immediately corrected me and said he wasn't asian.

10YearsANoob t1_jdlagiq wrote

Yeah we just tend to ignore the smug fucks that look down on us until they make a stink on social media. Which is surprisingly frequent.