Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

r4tch3t_ t1_iu44gcf wrote

Got to learn to use both brakes!

Rear brake = skid.

Front brake = over handle bars.

Both + leaning back = very fast stop.

bloody_terrible t1_iu477ps wrote

I of course used the other brake. The problem was that I was going downhill trying to do an emergency stop with brakes on opposite sides to what I was used to.

P_ZERO_ t1_iu452ds wrote

You can use front brake without going over the handle bars by moving behind the seat, damn near impossible unless you’re trying to and crank your brake pressure right up

slowslownotbad t1_iu4ha4k wrote

Depends what you’re riding…

Most of my mountain bikes have been set up as front brake = death

ClownfishSoup t1_iu5qrlz wrote

>front brake = death

Seems like a foolish way to set up a bike.

P_ZERO_ t1_iu5ggv7 wrote

Bleed or allow more cable through to lengthen the travel

r4tch3t_ t1_iu46cqx wrote

I added the +leaning back trying to imply just sitting still and not countering the rotation would definately send you over the handlebars if you had to brake hard with front only :D

I used to bike to when and would tear it my breaking distance at red lights. Throwing myself behind the seat gave me less than a car length stopping distance from about in good weather.

Also don't balance on your pedals at the lights, it destroys the crank bearing very quick...

hankhillsvoice t1_iu4o89y wrote

You (or whoever built the bike) probably installed the bottom bracket wrong. The bearing should not be wearing out quickly by balancing at stop lights. If this was the case you wouldn’t be able to stand up on the pedal when you climb hills. My guess is you’re riding in pretty bad conditions (cyclocross bikes will often need a new bottom bracket every year if you race enough) or, like I said it was not installed correctly or completely. Some BBs are notoriously hard to install.

r4tch3t_ t1_iu4rwub wrote

Was installed correctly I'm fairly sure. Was done by a mountain bike shop my Co worker had been going to for decades. By quickly I mean around 6 months to a year. I've never had to replace one before standing on the pedals like that.

When I took it in to get fixed (didn't have the right tool and probably wouldn't have done it right anyway) the dude told me the bearing was basically crushed and asked if I rocked back and forth at the lights. Told me not to and I've never had an issue since.

As for standing on them while climbing hills, maybe it wears more evenly?

wayfafer t1_iu4ihiv wrote

I ride my single speed bike with only front brakes, never had any problems stopping.

ikilledyourfriend t1_iu53eqx wrote

Yeah you’re basically squeezing the brake as hard as you can while simultaneously throwing the bike forward with your palms, and feet on the pedals.

thedugsdanglies t1_iu4lpms wrote

Say that to my sintered hydraulic disks that slam on with a tiny tap

P_ZERO_ t1_iu5gddv wrote

Bleed them? That’s entirely up to you.

thedugsdanglies t1_iu5ljai wrote

That is them bled bro they're supposed to be snappy

Sintered brakes are for heavy rain

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/disc-brake-pads/

P_ZERO_ t1_iu5lob4 wrote

Brakes are supposed to feel comfortable, not uncontrollably snappy as you seem to imply. I used to do DH MTB, a front brake in the correct zone is vital.

If they are too snappy, you bleed/allow more cable to ease the action phase of the lever. No one needs ultra snappy breaks unless they’re doing trials.

thedugsdanglies t1_iu5p158 wrote

Bro I used to be in the British bmx racing championship and skived school in a bike shop every day I custom built my dh bike myself it's a full carbon, air suspension, roadie beating 30 gear bad motherfucker and I like my brakes to be instant to within 10mm of a hard pull if I pull gently the brakes will be gentle but I don't have them flopping about like an old whores piss flaps

−1

P_ZERO_ t1_iu5p4pc wrote

If you like ultra snappy brakes then there’s no issue?

As I said, brake pressure is entirely within your control.