Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

[deleted] t1_iublttm wrote

[deleted]

MooseFins t1_iubpbyx wrote

I was a respiratory therapist for a long time and I was always amazed at how much a fan could help people.

tanis_ivy t1_iubs0lx wrote

I've had a few MRIs in my life. This last time I noticed they had little fans blowing on my face. It did help relax me a bit.

feitingen t1_iucmftr wrote

A fan blowing in your general direction can also relieve and prevent motion sickness in VR gaming.

Gorlack2231 t1_iucohbj wrote

The things we do to trick our little lizard brains

sksksk1989 t1_iuc78so wrote

The last time I had to have one done, there was no fan. It was so hot and I had horrible panic attacks

VerbotenVerber69 t1_iudidnr wrote

All MRI machines have fans now, as some scans (such as your lower back) tend to heat you up. Ask the technologist to turn it on beforehand if you know it will relax you.

Nunyazbznz t1_iudzbko wrote

I need moving air. I could be 40°f in my bedroom and I'll still use a fan. It's not about temperature control, I can't breathe without moving air.

Gemmabeta t1_iubmq3h wrote

Dyspnea, like pain, is one of those conditions with a massive psychiatric component.

I've had patients who had a blood oxygen level of 97% who never the less needed to be put on a morphine and midazolam drip to keep the dyspnea at bay, and I've also had patients who are down to 80% and feels perfectly fine on room air.

centrifuge_destroyer t1_iubq4y5 wrote

Maybe that's also a reason why people with respatory illnesses where often send to places with fresh air and wind and reported feeling somewhat better, although this didn't treat the illness at all.

Killer-Barbie t1_iubtfkm wrote

I think it's mostly that air in those place typically have lower levels of particulates in the air.

cutelyaware t1_iubwfo0 wrote

Perhaps, but it could also simply be that without a fresh breeze, the oxygen in the room might be depleted enough from rebreathing to matter. Or perhaps more likely, the raised C2O causes problems with blood ph.

−23

Gemmabeta t1_iubxbr0 wrote

> the oxygen in the room might be depleted enough from rebreathing to matter.

You have to be sucking air down at a truly prodigious rate to noticeably deplete the oxygen levels of a modern mechanically ventilated room

cardboardunderwear t1_iudy4q9 wrote

You’re being downvoted but you may not be wrong. The paper in OP’s link seems to be essentially talking about a placebo effect that makes patients feel better.

Furthermore. CO2 buildup in indoor spaces (or more generally poor indoor air quality) has been identified as a problem in many building and in fact building codes are changing to require measurement and corrective actions (if required).

All of this contributes to how patients do and feel.

−2

[deleted] t1_iucv4a4 wrote

[deleted]

halt-l-am-reptar t1_iue17u1 wrote

So are you actually short of breath or is it all psychiatric? I sometimes feel short of breath by my o2 levels are normal. I think it’s probably due to anxiety.

I-goes-to-eleven t1_iucfhrf wrote

Depends on what is causing the dyspnea. If you have lung disease, most likely supplemental o2 will only do so much at low levels, and can lower your respiratory drive if the flow rate gets too high. Heart failure on the other hand, can be greatly improved by supplemental oxygen, regardless of flow rate.

[deleted] t1_iucu50p wrote

[deleted]

I-goes-to-eleven t1_iudtlo3 wrote

I’m sure you know this, but if you are not on entresto and can tolerate it, get on it. It has done wonders to alleviate fatigue in my patients.

Kandron_of_Onlo t1_iug2uix wrote

Thank you for the suggestion, I just read the Wikipedia article on entresto and will bring it up with my doctor next time. I sure could use less fatigue since I've got a balance disorder in addition to the heart failure and HPB and I get really wobbly when standing. My biggest worry is falling, which I've done numerous times.

I-goes-to-eleven t1_iugbrwo wrote

Are you getting wobbly only when changing positions (lying to sitting, sitting to standing), or does it happen randomly? This might be orthostatic hypotension. You may want to invest in some compression stockings.

Kandron_of_Onlo t1_iuguucp wrote

Ive tried some compression stickings but had a real problem getting them on due to limited use of my hands (arthritis and advanced dupuytrens) and herniated cervical discs. The socks were probably not the right size so I'm pr8babky going to try again uto get my leg BP up a bit. But it seems like the fatigue is mostly the cause of my shaky legs when standing for more than a couple of minutes, complicated by general lack of balance, apparently related to major head injuries years ago and occasional bouts of vestibular vertigo when changing my head position too quickly. I use a cane and a chair when going out but am mostly bedridden due to the weakness and fatigue, which only makes it worse. But I have cable and a fun game I'm invested in, so I've got that giung for me, which is nice. ;) I appreciate your spending the time to chat with me, and I posted a couple more comments elsewhere with more detail. Short version is that I'm 69, just falling apart and pretty much OK with it.

WesternOne9990 t1_iug7tqn wrote

I have sleep apnea and before I was diagnosed I became religious with my bedside fan. I got such better sleep when I had it on. I attributed it to less sweat during the night because a major symptom for me was night sweats. Maybe the fan helped me get better sleep in more ways then one! I’d love to see this effect studied on more sleep disorders.

100LittleButterflies t1_iubuh1j wrote

South Koreans hate it.

ooouroboros t1_iucczpq wrote

"fan death" lol

SilasX t1_iufaeh0 wrote

“Insane pressure to do well academically from a young age that leads to a suicide the parents refuse to accept they contributed to” death.

ObjestiveI t1_iubv4zs wrote

I keep a small fan in my bedroom, year round. The light air circulation is calming and I notice I don’t wake up all congested.

OtisTetraxReigns t1_iubxblx wrote

I almost can’t sleep without a fan on. My body has mad trouble regulating its temperature, but a small breeze on my face helps keep me from getting sweaty. I also like the white noise aspect, I think.

The_Derpening t1_iucc0n8 wrote

The white noise also has a calming effect, at least for me anyway.

Hot_Nature_161 t1_iud3iav wrote

I can confirm this helps. As a high level quadriplegic with deteriorating neurological function I am starting to experience all the symptoms myself. A fan directly in the face definitely makes a difference to how I fall asleep and my quality of sleep.

ovationman t1_iubptlw wrote

Give me morphine and be done with it.

PassengerNo1815 t1_iubz4gb wrote

I’ve advised the use of fans for my hospice patients for years. It really does work.

banana4815162342 t1_iuc2fx4 wrote

My son's pediatrician said that one issue with babies sleeping on their stomachs is that they end up re-inhaling their own CO2 because their breathing is so shallow. I wonder if the fan is just moving the air enough to get that CO2 out of the way?

Redbulldildo t1_iucp3nv wrote

I think that's a lot of it, from what I understand, most of our sensation of suffocation is a buildup of CO2, not a lack of oxygen, so it would make sense that that's what makes people feel short of breath.

thehazzanator t1_iucs7t8 wrote

There's been some studies about fans/ moving air in babies rooms helping prevent sids, so possibly.

TheBloodEagleX t1_iuccdkk wrote

For some reason blowing air towards my face, even gently, from a fan or ceiling fan, makes me feel like I'm suffocating.

Revolutionary_Low581 t1_iuc1egi wrote

Thats why ceiling fans in the bedroom or sitting room can really help a person with SOB (shortness of breath or dyspnea)

jB_real t1_iucndpo wrote

…casually looks over to my bedside fan as I read this…

WelcomeTheLahar t1_iuc8ysj wrote

Imagine how much the hospital will bill for this as a line item

ClottedAnus t1_iudk35x wrote

Light air circulation lowers my body temp and helps me sleep. The downside is I struggle without it.

Verbenaplant t1_iufvjb5 wrote

When I had covid for the second time, lung damage from the first. I had fans on the whole time. I thought it was just a placebo

FrankieMcGigglefits t1_iuc4ab3 wrote

Pt o2 sat at 52%. Fan on, NC in place running ar 2%

No difference. Pt still panics. Tissue still become ischemic.

This isn't a new or revolutionary or unknown study, and it's not the only one to mention this

-Frankie's husband, the former palliative care nurse

−16