Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Dr_Tobias_Funke_MD t1_iui8niw wrote

You learned this today?

[deleted] t1_iuii602 wrote

[removed]

Proper-Nectarine-69 t1_iuibybm wrote

I learned this today. Not everyone knows everything like you .

−17

2weimateus t1_iuicam9 wrote

This is kind of a very common fact.

Bierbart12 t1_iuid331 wrote

If only. They don't teach about arranged marriages or marriages at all in most schools

−18

PreOpTransCentaur t1_iuineuv wrote

It's literally just sitcom fodder though. Like, every movie or TV show that features a wedding will inevitably have this trope.

Temnothorax t1_iujsvyb wrote

But that doesn’t connect it to the arranged marriage part. I think that’s the interesting part that people are talking about

SEND_PUNS_PLZ t1_iuiebgh wrote

It’s called a ranged marriage because the bride and groom had to stay far away from each other

5stringviolinperson t1_iuiiuyv wrote

Waaaaaaaaaay! Jokes! User name checked right out and is halfway across the hotel lobby by now.

DifficultSpill t1_iuihej4 wrote

A lot of us Jews still have a tradition not to see each other for the week before.

42tfish t1_iuj194d wrote

I wonder how many of y’all after a week apart are like “you know what, I’m good. See yea!”

iPod3G t1_iuiu4ed wrote

It was bad luck if she was ugly as f*ck.

RiskyBiscuits150 t1_iuk6sji wrote

This is actually the reason though. There was a fear that if the groom saw the bride before he might run, but if he sees her at the alter there was no way out.

anywineismywine t1_iujsygx wrote

In the UK it’s traditional for the groom not to see his bride the day before the wedding for luck.

[deleted] t1_iuiiudy wrote

When women were property.

−2

MpVpRb t1_iujlwgm wrote

Arranged marriages, like slavery, are some of the most awful things people have done to each other throughout history

−6

Temnothorax t1_iujt378 wrote

Ehhhh, not even close. Coercion sure, but assuming it’s consensual it’s really not that bad. Arranged marriages tend to be fairly successful