Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

pauliewotsit t1_it7vxez wrote

It freaked me out as a kid, good old Mr. Pipes...

margaritapracatan t1_it8zc46 wrote

Hahaha I’d forgot all about Mr Pipes… Jeeez I was so gullible at age 13 🤣.

pauliewotsit t1_it90nsn wrote

I looked at the date...turns out I was a gullible 18...no, that can't be right...it is...I was a very gullible 18yr old

Shit, I could've sworn I was like 12...

LadyMirkwood t1_it7z87z wrote

I was 10 at the time and it scared the absolute shit out of me but also made me fascinated by ghosts and spooky stuff.

Zyxxn t1_it8k0tu wrote

I was 8.. fell for it hook, line and sinker. that damn show. DAAMN show.

[deleted] t1_it81ycg wrote

[deleted]

GuestAdventurous7586 t1_it9cyvy wrote

I had the same thing when I went to see Signs at the cinema.

I had no idea what I was in for, but I was only like 10/11 (it was a 12 rated film in the UK), and it totally destroyed my ability to sleep for nearly a year.

That night especially I was so petrified, I can’t even properly articulate how bad it was cause it’s a fear of a type only a young kid can experience and understand.

ARNB19 t1_it7tioe wrote

Have you heard of the original War of the Worlds?

Bubbagumpredditor t1_it84l2g wrote

I had this happen to me when I was in grade school. It was some movie that was meant to look like news about ww3, and it looked like cnn talking about a nuke going off in the Mediterranean. I had to get my dad, he pointed out it was fake.

With the world events at the time it was fairly plausible

PN_Guin t1_it8j83y wrote

Or the Spaghetti Harvest, also by the BBC.

Fenrir101 t1_it9ksms wrote

Also the "news" report that woolworths had accidentally sold triffids

SmittyFjordmanjensen t1_it815vg wrote

Exactly what this headline made me think of, lol.

Some radio station redid War of the Worlds in the mid-70s to make it sound contemporary. It scared people all over again.

granyiyght t1_it8j4xl wrote

Some guys recreated this somewhere on south america. People were murdered afterwards. Specificaly the guys responsible.

bolanrox t1_it82nhf wrote

they even did a "new" reading led by Leonard Nemoy at one point in the late 90's

DrunkApiarist t1_it8l4ou wrote

I saw it live when I was 9 at my grandparents. It featured the ghost of a paedophile man in a dress with no eyes called "Mr Pipes". I didn't sleep for months. It was subsequently banned for 20 years.

Ungreat t1_it8sgam wrote

I was young and never finished it so went to bed thinking it was real.

Scared the ever loving shit out of me. Imagine thinking you are sitting down to watch something like Bake Off meets ghost hunters but it quickly turns into full on Poltergeist.

st6374 t1_it7t3nm wrote

I was expecting uproar of annoyed public due to the obvious bullshit. But this one works just as well I suppose.

InquisitorRobin t1_itabbk6 wrote

Ahhh someone else listened to the new episode of Criminal today, I see.

bolanrox t1_it82gah wrote

still better than the Ghost Hunters Live halloween shows

Shilo59 t1_it98jd5 wrote

"There is a warm liquid running down my leg!"

kylacymru t1_it8hk5y wrote

i was so scared when i watched it. The worst for me was something that was near a bedroom window and i was convinced it was real. I tried for years to find a copy of it but with no joy

niamhweking t1_it8l0ro wrote

I was petrified, I was 11. Really believed it. Sarah greene and her husband. Had to get my dad to carry me up to bed. And I lay wide awake terrified until my sister who I shared a room with came home.

Ersh777 t1_it8mv5l wrote

I saw this when it aired. I was a gullible 14 year old. For most of the show I wasn't sure if it was real or not, but by the end even I could tell it was a hoax.

mooncatFTB t1_it8rkyo wrote

I was 11 that Halloween, that programme stuck with me. Great show.

SarahFabulous t1_itc4r0m wrote

I'm Phoebe Judge and this. Is. Criminal.

Aleon-Dakota t1_it8a17d wrote

I heard someone committed suicide after watching this. Is that true? If so, that’s really sad.

Welshgirlie2 t1_itu0f4j wrote

It was an 18 year old with a learning disability and mental age of 13. The central heating pipes in his parents house would knock due to air in the system. You have to question why his parents thought it was suitable for him to watch if he was that impressionable and unable to separate fact from fiction, despite there being many, many clues that suggested it was staged.

It scared the crap out of me, but I was 9 years old. Deep down I understood it wasn't real though.

Johhnymaddog316 t1_it8k8d0 wrote

I remember watching this and even as a 14 year old I found it laughably fake. Me and all my friends at school were laughing about it the following Monday. But apparently loads of people absolutely shit themselves thinking it was real. I mean, WTF it was obvious from the get go!

Hickspy t1_it7zw68 wrote

Do these things ever go well? Weren't people also taken by the TV movie that was made to look like an asteroid was coming to earth?

bolanrox t1_it82k9f wrote

and Grover's Mill NJ... or that mermaid documentary

tryingtodefendhim t1_it8d1nd wrote

Wait wait wait. You’re telling me… you’re saying that a “trusted news personality” was able to… they were able to mislead the general public?

listyraesder t1_itf5ns4 wrote

They weren’t a news “personality” whatever that is.

tryingtodefendhim t1_itghrzs wrote

Wow. Just wow. Sorry. A news broadcaster. Sorry. You’re right. Wow. Just wow. You’re so right. I was so wrong. A “news broadcaster” is nothing like a “news personality”. Sorry for being such a snob. My snobbishness shall not go without repent.

Lenniel t1_it8vlsp wrote

I was 13 it was terrifying

RunOrBike t1_it918ii wrote

„War of the worlds“ reloaded 😂

Flotsam_Floating t1_it9gxoe wrote

I remember watching this as a teenager. Right in the middle of all the action, a photo frame fell off the television and I absolutely shit myself. That bloody show and that photo frame traumatized me.

RIP_GF t1_it9k6cw wrote

My favourite horror media ever created, go watch it if you've never seen it, it's transcendent

Minimum-Tea-9258 t1_itay74q wrote

we got ourselves a modern Orson Welles on our hands

EntertainmentRare697 t1_itbkgar wrote

Freaked me out as a kid, couldn’t sleep that night. Laughable today. Great TV for the time, I actually have this on DVD.

random_user_name_759 t1_ite8ny2 wrote

I was 11 when I watched this with my Mum. Can not stress how much this horrified me and caused months, maybe years of shear terror when going to bed alone and in the dark. Just thinking about it now is making me feel uneasy. The show made a thing about how pipes in the house would make noise, and how the girls would hear cats fighting. Well, living in an old house and let me tell you our pipes were noisy. And unbelievably that night, cats were outside my window fighting. You never forget that awful sound. I’d like to say how fond I am of the experience, being all nostalgic, but it single handedly caused some serious trauma in my life which still haunts me now. Bravo, you cunts. Looool!

Useless_Lemon t1_itjmp9b wrote

So I assume it was so successfully scary, they had to drop it? Never brought it back again later or on any other platform?

frealfr t1_it9y2fd wrote

Redrum redrum

oh_no_aliens t1_it93zg6 wrote

From Spaghetti growing on trees to fictional shows about spooky ghosts, Britons seem easily gullible.

−2