Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

The_Truthkeeper t1_ixx6kx6 wrote

He was the best part of that movie.

VolkspanzerIsME t1_ixx6qjm wrote

It sure as shit wasn't the Goombas.

Zigismund t1_ixyfd69 wrote

He, Dennis Hopper as Koopa and John Leguizamo as Luigi formed a sort of over-the-top trinity.

The_Truthkeeper t1_ixyixkv wrote

I still maintain that if they had scrapped everything related to Super Mario Bros and just made it a movie about two New York plumbers fighting the mob like the first half hour, it would have been a much better product.

Solidsnakeerection t1_ixyw3b1 wrote

My understanding is either the writer or director had a movie about alternate dinosaur world and when approached for the mario movie they used it to make their original idea with little to do with mario left

drpinkcream t1_ixyxziw wrote

Tim Burton's Batman was still a huge movie on people's mind. The directors wanted a dark-and-gritty Mario movie while the studio wanted a family-friendly movie.

[deleted] t1_ixy2oo9 wrote

[removed]

Ida-in t1_ixyc12b wrote

Did all the people in the area come to him for advice on not growing alfalfa?

PoissonPen t1_ixx6fos wrote

Mario Mario

msur t1_ixxcz4q wrote

Luigi Luigi?

NWmba t1_ixzwigk wrote

Mario Mario and Luigi Mario, the Mario brothers!

Cryse_XIII t1_ixyhfsk wrote

Unironically good movie. Dated a bit but peak soul.

htownaway t1_ixzqujo wrote

I saw it as a child so I thought it was pretty good. It ended on a little cliff hanger so I kept waiting for the sequel to come out, I didn’t understand that bad movies didn’t get to have wide release sequels

cromli t1_ixys8l1 wrote

As an aside I dont think ive ever seen any other bigger budget films or show that just completely swerved away from the tone and the story of the source material in the same extreme way. I know in stuff like The Shining and Starship Troopers the directors changed what the stories are about but kept the broad strokes of things in the books, this was more like 'Plumbers and lizards? Say no more'!