Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_ixr0pxz wrote

Most reptiles are able to. Mourning geckos are particularly cool as they only reproduce through parthenogenesis and the whole species is female.

markzuckerberg1234 t1_ixr2h12 wrote

Whattttt

crappercreeper t1_ixs2256 wrote

Most vipers in America can do this, too. Some will even do it when males are avaliable. It's terrifying. An army of snakes asexually making an army of snakes that will make an army of snakes...

CosineDanger t1_ixs45ht wrote

Are you sure that you would prefer sexual snakes?

crappercreeper t1_ixs4vqg wrote

Yes, make them put some effort into it. It will at least slow them down.

snowblindswans t1_ixt1wy5 wrote

"Sexual Snakes" is my new band name.

Mode3 t1_ixt2vk3 wrote

Don’t abbreviate that.

snowblindswans t1_ixt37vb wrote

Too late. I've already ordered the patches.

concerned_llama t1_ixtp4mo wrote

Hey, but just checking in, did you remove that inverted Indian symbol and the skulls out of it, right?

OsmeOxys t1_ixtbqcm wrote

Asexual snakes has been my band name

epsdelta74 t1_ixrabep wrote

Is that why they are mourning? Actually kind of serious - did people notice there were only females at some point and did that inform their name?

[deleted] t1_ixrd2hl wrote

Oh, I had to look it up, but yes!

TIL they are called mourning geckos because they are vocal at night and it was said to be because the females were mourning their lost mates (because they knew they were all female)

dewittless t1_ixrh08g wrote

This is amazing, this is like a mythical creature.

smokeydabear94 t1_ixrn52x wrote

Reminds me of the cubone pokedex entry

Diamondsfullofclubs t1_ixs4zju wrote

I'm going to start reading pokedex entries as old folklore rather than hard facts after considering your comment.

SaintUlvemann t1_ixtd5o6 wrote

"This Pokemon was originally a plush doll that was thrown away!"

No, Pokedex, this Banette was originally a Shuppet that I hatched from the egg my brother gave me.

Objective-Review4523 t1_ixrz28e wrote

Don't get me started on this conspiracy theory. It drives me mad whenever I think of it.

adamup27 t1_ixsfe16 wrote

Hi there - getting you started on it. What is the cubone theory?

Adthay t1_ixrhqme wrote

To add to this not only is the species entirely female but they're lesbians. Which is to say they don't reproduce through parthenogenesis until after they attempt to mate with another of their species.

Other facts, the species is actually a hybrid species of two other species of lizards whos habitats overlap. Males do exist and can reproduce but it's rare.

Drone30389 t1_ixrofhw wrote

The same is true for Whiptail Lizards: some species have no males and reproduce parthenogenetically after the females engage in mating rituals.