Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

albene t1_ixqxyix wrote

Komodo dragons can do this too, and because of how gender determination works in them, a female Komodo dragon will produce male offspring asexually. “It has been hypothesised that this reproductive adaptation allows a single female to enter an isolated ecological niche (such as an island) and by parthenogenesis produce male offspring, thereby establishing a sexually reproducing population (via reproduction with her offspring that can result in both male and female young).” [Link]

[deleted] t1_ixr0pxz wrote

Most reptiles are able to. Mourning geckos are particularly cool as they only reproduce through parthenogenesis and the whole species is female.

markzuckerberg1234 t1_ixr2h12 wrote

Whattttt

crappercreeper t1_ixs2256 wrote

Most vipers in America can do this, too. Some will even do it when males are avaliable. It's terrifying. An army of snakes asexually making an army of snakes that will make an army of snakes...

CosineDanger t1_ixs45ht wrote

Are you sure that you would prefer sexual snakes?

crappercreeper t1_ixs4vqg wrote

Yes, make them put some effort into it. It will at least slow them down.

snowblindswans t1_ixt1wy5 wrote

"Sexual Snakes" is my new band name.

Mode3 t1_ixt2vk3 wrote

Don’t abbreviate that.

snowblindswans t1_ixt37vb wrote

Too late. I've already ordered the patches.

concerned_llama t1_ixtp4mo wrote

Hey, but just checking in, did you remove that inverted Indian symbol and the skulls out of it, right?

OsmeOxys t1_ixtbqcm wrote

Asexual snakes has been my band name

epsdelta74 t1_ixrabep wrote

Is that why they are mourning? Actually kind of serious - did people notice there were only females at some point and did that inform their name?

[deleted] t1_ixrd2hl wrote

Oh, I had to look it up, but yes!

TIL they are called mourning geckos because they are vocal at night and it was said to be because the females were mourning their lost mates (because they knew they were all female)

dewittless t1_ixrh08g wrote

This is amazing, this is like a mythical creature.

smokeydabear94 t1_ixrn52x wrote

Reminds me of the cubone pokedex entry

Diamondsfullofclubs t1_ixs4zju wrote

I'm going to start reading pokedex entries as old folklore rather than hard facts after considering your comment.

SaintUlvemann t1_ixtd5o6 wrote

"This Pokemon was originally a plush doll that was thrown away!"

No, Pokedex, this Banette was originally a Shuppet that I hatched from the egg my brother gave me.

Objective-Review4523 t1_ixrz28e wrote

Don't get me started on this conspiracy theory. It drives me mad whenever I think of it.

adamup27 t1_ixsfe16 wrote

Hi there - getting you started on it. What is the cubone theory?

Adthay t1_ixrhqme wrote

To add to this not only is the species entirely female but they're lesbians. Which is to say they don't reproduce through parthenogenesis until after they attempt to mate with another of their species.

Other facts, the species is actually a hybrid species of two other species of lizards whos habitats overlap. Males do exist and can reproduce but it's rare.

Drone30389 t1_ixrofhw wrote

The same is true for Whiptail Lizards: some species have no males and reproduce parthenogenetically after the females engage in mating rituals.

FUCK_REDD1T t1_ixrbydk wrote

When they reproduce with their genetically identical offspring is their any chance for mutations? Or do they create more genetically identical offspring?

mokomi t1_ixs56tn wrote

Not an expert, but as long as it isn't an clone using the same DNA. There will always be a chance for mutations. Their offspring are near, but not exact. Whatever happens they are gaining males with a Y.

Now if you are thinking of diseases like human inbreeding does. All species do have that problem. They just die off or it's a common problem with XYZ. Humans live longer than their breeding age and they are many, many people. So problematic mutations just stick around and get worse.

albene t1_ixsuee7 wrote

The offspring are not genetically identical as the process still involves meiosis, which means crossing over, random assortment and independent segregation still occur to create new combinations of alleles. The issue is that the gene pool is greatly reduced as it originates from a single individual.

ShootYourStar t1_ixr17jy wrote

Many creatures can parthenogenisys(?) themselves, usually resulting in all males, the two I know are some types rays and a type of mite.

ikefalcon t1_ixs4n9t wrote

Imagine having a child with your opposite-sex clone.

Zetherith t1_ixs8kpv wrote

Then mate with that child to produce grandchildren that you can also mate with. Sounds hot.

EstroJen t1_ixs35ns wrote

Wouldn't that cause the population to be hideously inbred?

son_et_lumiere t1_ixsc3kv wrote

Have you seen komodo dragons?

EstroJen t1_ixsdi1i wrote

I know if then and how deadly they can be. I imagine they would have the same issues though.

albene t1_ixstxsj wrote

Yes, it would be an extreme cause of Founder Effect as the gene pool is not just reduced but originates from a single individual instead of a founding population

MathMaddox t1_ixrye21 wrote

> parthenogenesis produce male offspring, thereby establishing a sexually reproducing population (via reproduction with her offspring

Sounds like an episode of Jerry Springer