Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mobchronik t1_ixzhehx wrote

It’s normally called a “back-tension release”, and it is typically only used in competition shooting with fixed targets. You would never use one hunting because sometimes you have to keep the bow at full draw for a period of time while you find the best shot or wait for other factors. As an archer you aren’t thinking about the tension on the string but instead the tension on your shoulder blades as you bring them together during your shot cycle. Focusing on your body during your shot cycle is what can lead to the “surprise shot”. But yes you still have a general understanding of when the bow will fire, though since there is not a trigger it is highly unlikely for you the “punch” the trigger or push/pull the bow out of alignment with your shot cycle.

Craig_Barcus t1_iy0bv6o wrote

I use a hinge hunting. More comfortable shot cycle for me.

mobchronik t1_iy2ci12 wrote

Nice props to you, that’s a great release but too sketch for me for hunting. I’ve got a shoulder issue and hunt a lot in below freezing temps so a shoulder twitch would make me too concerned to use it. I use a hand release, Bone Collector. Any luck this season?

Craig_Barcus t1_iy4al0x wrote

Not this year. First time in 10 years so far

mobchronik t1_iy93epj wrote

Yeah it’s tough out here in the northwest this year because of fires. Headed out today for 4 days, hopefully late season brings me some luck