Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

WazWaz t1_iv61aqm wrote

Reminds me of a strongly accented Scottish visitor we had at work. We were all trying to work out if his name was Ian or Ewan after he'd introduced himself. After a few uncomfortable days, we found out it was Owen.

leeewen t1_iv6a04u wrote

I work on the phone with 95% English customers, I'm from Glasgow, I gave up correcting them 5 days in.

beansando t1_iv5xm7m wrote

I had it for the first time last month. Big fan

oxfozyne t1_iv5y77i wrote

Try to get the OG recipe šŸ¤Æ

3971_KTL t1_iv6a87t wrote

We still have it here. You guys dropped the sugar, eh?

Bassmekanik t1_iv7c56z wrote

The 1901 recipe he means. Iā€™m assuming.

3971_KTL t1_iv7djcy wrote

Ah... just read about it. I knew when the U.K. had the sugar tax or whatever they changed it. Wasn't aware of three versions. I'm in Canada. We have it in British import places and some grocery stores.

Bassmekanik t1_iv7f7py wrote

Yeah. The sugar tax completely ruined the taste of the ā€œnormalā€ irn bru. The 1901 is pretty good, but it doesnā€™t have caffeine in it, which is a shame. Tastes nice though.

sleepyprojectionist t1_iv7klig wrote

Now this may sound like blasphemy, but I did a little experiment a few weeks back and mixed equal parts of 1901 and Xtra. It seems to be the best compromise between flavour, sugar content and caffeine content, but further experimentation may follow.

ScottJC t1_iv9y88m wrote

I personally cannot stand the taste of artificial sweeteners, they always leave a horrible aftertaste. 1901 is a blessing because I couldn't enjoy "original" irn bru anymore.

Bassmekanik t1_iv7yvf0 wrote

That does indeed sound like....it might be interesting....carry on. :)

3971_KTL t1_iv7fj2a wrote

Yeah. Think I'd use it to wash down a caffeine pill as well. Curious to try it. I love the "normal" one. Only three or four places I know of carry it.

KarlosJackass t1_iv65k85 wrote

So you mean itā€™s not made in Scotland from girders?

Alte_kaker t1_iv61xam wrote

A deranged guy at a bus stop in Edinburgh flung some of that shit at me from his can. Walked around sightseeing all day with sticky smelly hair.

Creation98 t1_iv6qjgk wrote

Had one at the Loch Ness Urquhart castle gift store one time. The full Scottish experience.

GastonsChin t1_iv6gqh1 wrote

What?!?! Irn-Bru should be in every grocery store in America, why is this not the case?!?!

Zerstoror t1_iv9ndb0 wrote

We feel exotic if we have "mexican Coke".

SpliffyPuffSr t1_iv5zrer wrote

Whats itā€™s flavor? Cola or something else?

fghtffyrrss t1_iv60ebi wrote

Thatā€™s the neat part, you canā€™t describe it!

Most common comparisons are tutti-fruiti or bubblegum

GodOfChickens t1_iv7i8qq wrote

Orange. Not the fruit, the colour.

Ehrre t1_iv8o5zc wrote

Like how Tizer! tastes red?

GodOfChickens t1_iv8oxdu wrote

Exactly yes, just like that and how blue raspberry tastes a lot more of blue than raspberry.

Sunblast1andOnly t1_iv608ob wrote

I had one a few years back, and I want to say it was a bit like... Like fermented bubble gum.

put_on_the_mask t1_iv6oi73 wrote

If you've ever had kola champagne it's almost identical. Like someone dissolved bubblegum into cream soda.

LadnavIV t1_iv6p7mj wrote

Not familiar with kola champagne but your description sounds delicious.

put_on_the_mask t1_iv6ue4n wrote

Itā€™s pretty common throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, albeit with slight variations on the name, so if youā€™re in the US it should be easy enough to find. Easier than Irn Bru at least. Just look for something bright orange/yellow with champagne in the name despite clearly not being champagne.

oxero t1_iv65iiq wrote

I bought some of these from Amazon, made overseas. It's honestly such a unique taste, but not one I'm all about. Still good, just wouldn't call it the best.

CrieDeCoeur t1_iv7id65 wrote

Irn Bru is great. Am I a weirdo for liking Lucozade too? As a non-Brit, it's only very rarely that I get either of them.

porcupine_autonomy t1_iv7jia4 wrote

I just ordered some from amazin. We'll just see soon enough if this irn bru is all its cracked up to be.

mcmanaman17 t1_iv7r6ho wrote

They just enjoyed the way it sounded when they said it

Ponceludonmalavoix t1_iv8osjq wrote

For those in America who want to taste something similar, look for cola Champaign in the Latin isle, also called OK Cola by some brands.

paulyweird t1_iv8u8ad wrote

Considering there are 12 tsps of sugar in a pint of the stuff it's not surprising to me that a sugar tax would cause them to change the formula! I just can't imagine drinking an 8 oz glass of anything that has 6 tsps of sugar in it.

ScottJC t1_iv9y166 wrote

They had diet versions of the stuff already, now all of them except the new Irn Bru 1901 have asparatame in it. Which is nice for the people who can't taste the stuff, I can tho, i'm proper jealous of the people who can enjoy asparatame drinks.

mr_rivers1 t1_iv91hqk wrote

I used to love Irn Bru. Then we went on a walking tour near their factory and there was a dead sheep in the stream that provided their water.

KRONKCHEF t1_iv9l6gc wrote

So, whisky is Chinese, kilts are Greek, bagpipes are Egyptian, tartan is European, scotch eggs are English and now Irn bru is American.... They better not touch my bloody tablet.

__Gwynn__ t1_ivi76v5 wrote

And they had to rebrand it because a) it holds no iron and b) it's not a brew. Phonetically the same, saves a ton on lawsuits.

ElfMage83 t1_ivjeo3r wrote

This explains why my Brummie friend pronounces the name that way.

vinnydbass t1_iv6hwdc wrote

For Canadians, this stuff just tastes like bad cream soda. Not terrible though. Iā€™m biased tho, I donā€™t like cream soda.

sk8605 t1_iv6muh2 wrote

Do they not have cream soda in other places? Thatā€™s crazy

vinnydbass t1_iv781g3 wrote

Not sure, the States has every soft drink imaginable though. Except maybe Brio, which is Italian-Canadian.

niamhweking t1_iv9l45z wrote

Uk and Ireland has cream soda, getting harder to buy imo in Ireland especially. Mr price does mini bottles and tesco own brand does larger 1lt bottles. I've never been a fan

KypDurron t1_iv7dgaw wrote

> For Canadians, this stuff just tastes like bad cream soda

I didn't know they made drinks that taste different depending on your country of origin

vinnydbass t1_iv86e50 wrote

Different availability or legality of British or Canadian products/ingredients. I live in Ontario and can get Irn Bru anytime. I know Americans donā€™t have ketchup or dill pickle chips for example. Also certain Cadbury products or Kinder products. Crush cream soda is exclusively Canadian and was the first cream soda Iā€™d had as a kid. I wasnā€™t sure if all cream soda was Canadian.

Besides, they makes tons of food products tailored to specific regions. McDonalds menus vary from country to country as an example. Not only that, but ingredients legal in the States may not be legal in Canada or Europe. Americans donā€™t have unpasteurized goods available like cheese or honey, so yea things do taste different depending where you are. Mexican coke is sweeter than American coke. Canadian candies dont use the same dyes as American ones. American chocolates use butyric acid, so Brits think it tastes like vomit. If youā€™ve never eaten pizza in Naples, someone from Naples might tell you that you have never tasted pizza. An Irishman will swear that Guinness not only tastes better in Ireland but is different than what we have here. The list goes on.

Creeggsbnl t1_iv9hhcg wrote

American here, I've never seen ketchup chips but dill pickle chips are everywhere, even off-brands usually have that flavor.

vinnydbass t1_ivb52k3 wrote

Do you guys have hickory sticks? All-dressed? Smoky Bacon?

KRONKCHEF t1_iv9ktu4 wrote

Another good example is hellmans mayonnaise, it's totally different country to country based on national tastes. Some are yellower/paler, some are more creamy, others more citrus notes etc