Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

America_the_Horrific t1_iwlsypj wrote

VoiceOfLunacy t1_iwmeu5n wrote

Same thing with me, Wayne’s World and Queen. Totally destroyed, and I used to like Queen.

StoopidFlanders234 t1_iwy5lcq wrote

I’m sorry, I didn’t understand your post. It destroyed you that a new generation discovered Queen?

VoiceOfLunacy t1_iwywnx1 wrote

I used to enjoy listening to Queen. After Waynes World, the local radio stations played a queen song every 3rd of 4th. After hearing Bohemian Rhapsody, Under Pressure or any other Queen song for the 5th time that hour and for months on end, I got kinda burnt on hearing it. Its been what, 30 years? and I still turn the radio off every time I hear Queen come on.

StoopidFlanders234 t1_iwz29q0 wrote

I was one of those kids listening to BR on the radio after Wayne’s World.

Do you wanna know something? I (and basically all of my friends) had NEVER heard Bohemian Rhapsody before. We thought it was hysterical that Wayne, Garth and their friends were lip syncing this weird opera and we loved it. I assume the same thing happened to kids watching the Queen movie. Maybe they recognized a few songs, but my guess is that throughout the movie, they probably thought “oh Queen made this song too???

So basically you have 2 choices. Either you don’t have the WW or 2019 movie - a world where /u/Voiceoflunacy never has to be annoyed by Queen on any station other than classic rock, but no one under 60 has heard of them other than some weird 70s band… or /u/VoiceOfLunacy lives in the world we are now, where every generation rediscovers how timeless and awesome Queen’s music can be.

VoiceOfLunacy t1_iwzii06 wrote

Didn’t destroy anything, and I don’t force choices on people, except for the ones trying to listen to my radio when I turn off Queen.

StoopidFlanders234 t1_iwzndtq wrote

You… specifically said you used to enjoy Queen and now, specifically because of the resurgence in popularity and airplay, you stated you now turn the radio off when you hear their songs (these are the words you chose).

So, um… it seems it did destroy your appreciation for Queen. Instead of that, you replied that “I don’t force my opinions on anyone.”

VoiceOfLunacy t1_iwzsla5 wrote

I specifically said because it was overplayed, I don’t enjoy it anymore. I said nothing about others listening or being able to enjoy, just that I don’t.