Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

20127010603170562316 t1_izn14qe wrote

That's interesting, as it's a technique I've used in some video projects. I called it "frontloading", and it's not an original technique, but interesting it goes back so far.

Ph33rDensetsu t1_iznlgz4 wrote

I call it "spoilers" and it drives me crazy. The new Bleach anime does this.

VeryJoyfulHeart59 t1_izor2lp wrote

I don't like it because when the video finally gets around to that point, it makes me think I've bumped the process bar and sent myself back to the beginning.

1969-InTheSunshine t1_iznl3gt wrote

Seems like every YouTube reaction channel uses it these days

20127010603170562316 t1_iznldkm wrote

Not a reaction channel, but yeah, it does seem to work.

Giving people a taste within the first 20 seconds seems to result in longer average watch time 🤷‍♀️

kent_eh t1_iznyhk6 wrote

Youtubers in general are doing it more these days, and they are doing it because it helps improve viewer retention compared to a more "traditional" intro.

20127010603170562316 t1_izo9lg9 wrote

Why do you think this is? Is there a psychological reason?

If I give you a spoonful of the treat now, does that make you want more later?

My videos can be quite boring (abandoned military stuff etc.) and long, so offering the taste maybe gives the viewer something to look forward to?

Honestly curious.

kent_eh t1_izofs9g wrote

People simply want you to get to the point and not waffle on about things that aren't relevant to the topic of the video.

Nobody cares that "it's ya boyee" or that this is "another video from my channel", and they certainly don't want to hear begging for "likecommentsubscribe" before being shown anything relevant to their interests.

And returning viewers have already seen that flashy animated graphic, it doesn't add anything to their enjoyment of your video - they came here for the content, not the filler.

The teaser intro reassures them that this video is going to be about what they are interested in, so they're less likely to bail out early.

20127010603170562316 t1_izogfjc wrote

Cool, thanks. I agree.

Showing a couple of cool moments in the first 10s reassure the viewer that those cool moments are coming up.

Cheers