Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

racooncubbler t1_j1qd5jh wrote

The truth is the are bugs and such in real life, and the nicely packaged food in the supermarket had its start out in the real life world. Food companies do what they can (or at least what is needed) to remove these things in the processing of food but it can’t be 100% otherwise we would never eat. So it becomes a sliding scale of cost vs potential negative impact.

Spacebutterfly t1_j1r2cu5 wrote

One stage in human evolution was carrion eaters, they’d wait for a predator to kill an animal and then just chase away the predator

There’s some vestigial behavior that’s definitely been carried on from that- like dry aged meat and “garum” sauce- so I don’t think it actually bothers people that there’s cooked bugs in their food

−14

Ok-Tax-8165 t1_j1rbgf3 wrote

Beef jerky does make me feel like a vulture to be fair

nevm t1_j1rm20o wrote

I read somewhere that America allows a certain amount of insect parts per 100g of chocolate citing pretty much as you did. Too much cost to make it worth it. Europe’s limit is zero insect parts.

Even if US chocolate didn’t taste like puke, I am not sure I would eat any anyway based on this.

−28

durge69 t1_j1rxs3q wrote

>Europe’s limit is zero insect parts.

I highly, highly, highly doubt it. Even if the standard is zero, there is still likely insect parts in the chocolate.

The U.S. doesn't allow insect parts because they just said "fuck it", they allow insect parts because it is incredibly difficult to prevent every insect part from making their way into the chocolate.

Unless every chocolate factory in europe is in a billion dollar clean room, I guarantee Europe has insect bits in their chocolate.

>Even if US chocolate didn’t taste like puke, I am not sure I would eat any anyway based on this.

It's butyric acid, and it's just Hershey's chocolate, which I love by the way. The United States has more chocolate than just that one brand.

That's like having some bad curry from one Indian restaurant and swearing up and down that all Indian food is terrible.

Also, I hate bidets.

throwaway304uy t1_j1rzsi5 wrote

Where's your source?

Because it's literally impossible to make chocolate or coffee without some bugs getting in.

DMRexy t1_j1saa59 wrote

Oh yeah? Where are you people getting your lab grown cacao? Because that stuff has plenty of bugs. Do you hand pick them out with tweezers, even the barely visible ones? Is the entire line of production sealed?

There are bugs in your chocolate, like any other.

Words_Are_Hrad t1_j1sqzlz wrote

No Europe has no official limit for insect parts actually. Guess I better start avoiding your nasty unregulated chocolates!!