Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Dfrickster87 t1_j1sei9v wrote

Ummmm...I shared most of what I could think already but ill try with some more tidbits.

2% milk often actually has 1.5-1.99% fat.

The leftover ground almonds that we test for aflatoxin often end up in makeup products, I've been told. We sell the ground almonds cheap and I think they use the oils.

Almonds that fail aflatoxin testing often end up in cow feed. Because of that, dairy products need aflatoxin testing too. But don't worry about that one. Somehow the levels don't really transfer to dairy products. But....if it does, its in such low levels that it won't affect adults, but could affect infants. And so there are different detection levels required if the product is specifically meant for infants. Other than a cows digestive system essentially diluting the aflatoxin levels, bleach is the only thing that will kill it. Quick harvest and proper storage conditions of almonds is important in keeping these levels low, because it grows on mold.

In butter, moisture, fat and salt testing is done in a series of tests without needing to test separate portions for each test. Its called the Kohman method.

Fat testing in meat is done in an apparatus called Soxhlet. Visually, I think it looks like Walter Whites set-up in Breaking Bad.

Captain-Cadabra t1_j1szgu9 wrote

So I need to bleach my baby’s milk, good to know, good to know.

writes this down

Puzzled-Broccoli7849 t1_j1sf68s wrote

This is so interesting, I’ve wondered in the past how they measure these things. Thanks for sharing!