Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TheGillos t1_j45peq8 wrote

Goes to show how much good music was released those years. I think about half of those 9 should have been #1s though.

davadvice t1_j460xi4 wrote

The 60s was an amazing period for music, I'm an 80s kid but I love music from this period and the 70s such great variation and unique (at the time) styles.

To be sitting 60 years from now, I wonder what stuff being produced just now will be on their records players

Sudden_Difference500 t1_j4659kh wrote

Not much, certainly not music from the charts. Digitalization of music killed a lot of individuality and character. Everybody uses the same synths and software.

−3

arcosapphire t1_j479dli wrote

Uh...disagree. 70 years ago everyone used the same instruments because they are all that existed.

Now, everyone can use instruments with properties unique to them. Even unique to one song. There is no limit to variety.

fairlyoblivious t1_j485rau wrote

This is just ignorance. Nobody sounds like Aphex Twin, nobody sounds like Oskar Schuster, and the only reason everyone sounds and sounded like Kraftwerk is because EVERY ARTIST YOU LOVE SAMPLED THE SHIT OUT OF KRAFTWERK.

"digital music" is neither new, nor did it "kill" or even harm anyone or anything, except a few cave men with boomer meme level "if it ain't real guitars it ain't real music" complexes. Your fucking "The Doors" and "The Grateful Dead" and "The Beatles" fucking used a MOOG ELECTRONIC SYNTH IN THE 1960'S. Oh and unless you're rich or you deal with SUPER hot and annoying tube amps your stereo makes your music digital at some point any way, and even if you DO have tube amps, you either waste a fuck ton of time and money every other year replacing them or it sounds like SHIT.

alexmunse t1_j465y0n wrote

The Beatles were only together for 8 years. Time flies

jlc1865 t1_j46628q wrote

Not only that, but the frequency. Seven albums in four years! You'll be lucky to get two now.

[deleted] t1_j45tora wrote

60's and the 70's were the golden years of music.

Ccaves0127 t1_j464yk9 wrote

They also literally destroyed all the bad music. There were a thousand records from shitty bands that were not preserved so it looks better in retrospect

TheGillos t1_j466nd1 wrote

Hey! You're saying this Billboard Hot 100 #1 hit isn't better that everything from CCR?

artipants t1_j46qyt8 wrote

I had no idea this was an actual song. My dad taught it to me and I used to sing it with the neighborhood kids, but never heard an actual recorded version. Super interesting!

Ccaves0127 t1_j4793l2 wrote

If you told me that was one guy doing all the instruments alone at 2PM on a Tuesday, I would have believed you

mistermoondog t1_j49bqe5 wrote

I was a pre-teen and deeply moved when first hearing the opening guitar chords of “who’ll stop the rain”. Maybe many others felt the same way: a rite of passage. Perhaps the producer/mixer deserves all the credit.