Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Freak-Wency t1_j4a6owb wrote

1. Thank you for the relevant information.
  2. I learned that tomatoes are excellent for everyday burns. If you cut a tomato and rub it on the burn for a few seconds, then follow it up with aloe vera, in a few hours, there will be no trace of it. I don't know if this is widely known, or there is some limit of use- only 1st or 1st and 2nd degree burns, but wonder if you do.
−3

[deleted] t1_j4afqip wrote

[deleted]

Freak-Wency t1_j4e46ap wrote

I love that your confidence and the downvotes I got are based on assumptions, and that you couldn't just try a quick google search. There are so many results for it. I don't understand reddit sometimes.

Oh well.

Anyway, I have seen this in action. My wife saved her mother from a whole pot of boiling water, which got poured on her instead. She rubbed it with tomato (cut it in half, then rub it for a few secs), then follow w aloe vera.

I also heard my neighbor scream. I went over there to find that she grabbed the bottom of a pan (she was very high). She was freaking out because she's a massage therapist, and was afraid about not working.

We did the same thing, and there was only one small burnt spot- we missed it with the tomato in our haste.

I first heard the method from someone from rural Guatemala.

−1

Icyrow t1_j4aah9y wrote

i just scalded my foot quite badly, as in, maybe hand sized blister on foot. 2nd degree burn.

first thing they did is say that the wound is naturally clean to begin with, adding anything to it is bad.

some hospitals leave the blister, they deroofed mine (basically pierce it with clean scissors and cut all the skin off before adding a mesh and then wrapping it.

i've had to get it rewrapped 3 times now. if you're reading the above comment wondering, please just go get help, not everyone is in a circumstance that they are able to, but burns are no joke, just immediately cool it down with something clean and room temp and then go to the hospital

Slaphappyslamie t1_j4af5tg wrote

Keep it clean, dry, and covered. The wound bed should be kept moist and you can treat it with any antibiotic cream, xeroform (a ‘greasy’ gauze dressing), or silvadene cream. A few weeks of good wound care and staying off the foot, and you should be fine. Watch out for any signs of infection, and remember acetaminophen and ibuprofen are great for pain control if it is safe for you to take those medications.