Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Direct_Age_2279 t1_j2uhw0t wrote

Wanderley Cordeiro the Brazilian marathon athlete was terrified, he thought the crazy priest had a gun and he was going to die.

A Greek fan watching the marathon intervened subduing the crazy fuck and put Wanderley back on the marathon where he managed to finish in 3rd place. He was leading when the attack happened.

Months later he was invited to Brazil and was received as a hero. His name is Polyvios Kossivas.

StrayMoggie t1_j2ujzwu wrote

What a tragic way to not win a gold. Thankfully, he medaled.

267aa37673a9fa659490 t1_j2w3519 wrote

I'm surprised they have no system to compensate for his lost time considering they failed to provide him with a safe environment to compete in.

So if my favourite marathoner is in 2nd place, I can just disrupt 1st place to cause him to lose and the results would be valid?

mcgato t1_j2uoq8o wrote

The name of the marathoner is usually listed as Vanderlai de Lima. I guess Cordeiro is his maternal family name. I watched the race on TV, and I believe that he would not have won the Olympic race, irregardless of the nut case that tried to tackle him. Most other knowledgeable followers of the sport also tend to believe that. He had been fading at the time of the attack, and the two following him were closing quite a bit in the final stages of the race.

−12

Direct_Age_2279 t1_j2up70e wrote

Vanderlei Cordeiro de Lima. On press they would call him only Vanderlei Cordeiro.