Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Syllogism19 t1_j4surbe wrote

Me and some of my friends were Jean Shepherd fans from repackaged reruns of some of his radio stories which played on KERA public radio in Dallas. I saw the movie right when it came out and was very disappointed that it wasn't a big hit. I wanted everybody to love his work as much as I did.

One of the first things I searched when I got the internet was for Jean Shepherd. But before that I bought all his books and somewhere found some cassettes which were mostly of him reading his books and articles.

Today you can hear tons of his radio shows free.

He was a remarkable performer.

bolanrox t1_j4sz68w wrote

Get Charles mingus' the clown. Jean does a spoken word piece on the title track

Scouse312 t1_j4v0urn wrote

He had a cameo in the original; “Back of the line kid” as they went to see Santa in the store ( the College St. Eatons store in Toronto!)…

metsurf t1_j4vbydo wrote

I was a kid in the mid to late 60s my father turned me on to Jean Shepard on WOR 710 AM. Every night Mon-Fri at 10:15. 45 minutes of him talking and storytelling about life in the depression, a stint in the army, kazoo playing, and just general politics. It was just him talking into the mike. The guy was a brilliant storyteller, Garrison Keeler certainly was influenced by him. I would sit with my little AM radio up on my pillow in my room. Mom wasn't happy that I was still awake and dad would say leave him alone its educational.

Draano t1_j4vr9rk wrote

I had forgotten how late it was on. A few years later, I read Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories (and other disasters). Jean was a master storyteller. It was so great that he narrated A Christmas Story. Nobody could have told his stories the way he did.

kick4h4 t1_j4vm7er wrote

I was a real-time Jean Shepherd fan growing up, listened to him every night for years. I went to his live concert at Princeton University 4 or 5 times.

Little known fact: In Disney World, the narrator on the Carousel of Progress is Shep. I ride every time I visit, and tear up a bit from nostalgia.