Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AudibleNod t1_j6i4n1i wrote

I like the idea of getting new names after an auspicious or inauspicious event in your life.

"Where's Gary?"

> Oh, you mean Diamond Hands. Diamond Hands sold his Bed Bath & Beyond stock at the right time and he's going to the driver license office to change his license. As is our custom.

"Cool, good for Diamond Hands."

marmorset OP t1_j6i6hyp wrote

The Comanche people are properly called the "Nʉmʉnʉʉ," translated as "The Human Beings" or "The People." The Ute Indians introduced to the Spanish to the Nʉmʉnʉʉ calling them "kɨmantsi," which the Spanish wrote as Comanche. Kɨmantsi means "Enemy." Nʉmʉnʉʉ is pronounced "nuh-MUH-nuh."

Isatai'i led the Nʉmʉnʉʉ and some allies, a group estimated to be around 1,000 warriors against twenty-eight men and one woman armed with long-range hunting rifles who were staying in a small adobe building. A scout and hunter, Billy Dixon, killed a Comanche warrior from 1,500 yards away, one of the longest recorded sniper shots. Realizing they were vulnerable at such a distance broke the spirit of the attacking Native Americans. Dixon is one of eight civilians awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Ma3vis t1_j6iiwhd wrote

The process by which native americans endowed each other with new names, with the idea being that you were given a new name which informs a story relevant to the reason the name that was given is particularly interesting.

Icy_Spring t1_j6ivacq wrote

Man I just learned about the Bed Bath and Beyond thing today and it might be the stupidest thing I've heard. At least there's a chance for Gamestop to be successful. BB&B is literally failing as we speak and their CFO fucking killed himself not even a year ago. In what universe is that gonna turn around?

Neb_Djed t1_j6j0dc0 wrote

We did the same in Irish with James II, promised freedom for the Gaelic people and delivered defeat at the battle of the Boyne (a German fighting a Scotsman for the English crown using Irish blood) and we still today call him "Séamus an Chaca" James the Shit.

teriyaki_donut t1_j6jn6b1 wrote

The book Empire of the Summer Moon tells this story (and much more) about the Comanches and their decline.
I never knew that they were the reason Spain stopped advancing North into North America

marmorset OP t1_j6jsi4b wrote

This fight, the Second Battle of Adobe Walls, was considered such a heart-breaking defeat that the Comanche never recovered and didn't put up the same amount of resistance afterward. They'd had such strong faith that they would win and then realized they were completely outmatched.

GlopticalIllusion t1_j6k9h2v wrote

Is this the same White Eagle the White Eagle Lodge was named after, or just a coincidence? I've had a run-in with the White Eagle Lodge and the name made me do a double take

askmeaboutmysciatica t1_j6kcf9e wrote

My last name, a very bland sounding German thing, apparently means “bastard child” according to my dad

Windy_Sails t1_j6lml1d wrote

Its great how many indigenous names for their own group translate to "people" or "the people". Comes with this implicit meaning that those other groups they're neighbors with are not "people".

"Hey what do you call your tribe?" "People" "And this other tribe we've encountered?" "Not people, enemies."

You end up with a sort of back and forth where tribes who were friendly with colonizers and explorers get to be called "People" and the ones who weren't are recorded for all time as "Assholes".

marmorset OP t1_j6lr1o9 wrote

Yes, absolutely. People argue that's not what it means, but if you're calling yourselves "People" or "Human Beings," then everyone else are not "People" or "Human Beings" and that's that.

PaoliBulldog t1_j6me2zr wrote

Does "Wolf's Vulva" replace "Two Dogs Fucking" in the pantheon of sixth grade playground jokes?