Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

spitsparadise OP t1_j9f1w01 wrote

That is very interesting! From my understanding, MA is a very hard state to legally get a gun in. I am now allowed to have one because I have my medical cannabis card. I wonder if that hold will carry over when I become a VT resident?

Corey307 t1_j9fjamk wrote

Cannabis use makes you a federally prohibited person and you have to lie/commit a felony on your 4473 background check to purchase a firearm. I think the federal prohibition of cannabis is bullshit but state law does not circumvent federal law regarding firearms. Not saying you’ll get caught and not telling you what to do but all firearms transactions in Vermont have to go through an FFL including private party sales, since 2018 and you can no longer just buy a gun from a private person without a background check. That said tons of gun owners smoke pot, just wanted you to be able to make an educated choice. The MMJ card complicates things because it documents your marijuana use.

JodaUSA t1_j9g23yi wrote

Commit that felony.

Corey307 t1_j9g958a wrote

Do as you choose, I’m not passing judgement. Most gun owners know very little to nothing about gun laws and I’d rather than make an adult decision instead of blundering into a felony.

spitsparadise OP t1_j9flvm1 wrote

This is very insightful and helpful, thank you! Perhaps maybe once cannabis is legalized federally (it's a shame it isn't), it'll become easier. It's not a priority for me, but a long term goal of mine would be to live in a more rual area (currently moving towards downtown Brattleboro), and I would like to have some sort of firearm to defend my (theoretical) livestock from any predators. But again, that's for another day. Thank you for letting me know a little more about how it works in VT!

suzi-r t1_j9gm1vo wrote

Yeah, wait till retirement to get into weed. Teaching demands a clear head, and given today’s ways of crowding (yes, even here unless you stay quite rural, and even then w weather changes) you’ll do best to NOT indulge in weed except during stable weather on vacation (experience talking here). More: cultural diffs betw VT & MA: it’s NOT all-white here. Ppl dress more for weather, so in winter dress we (rurals) look alike. Of greater importance: you need to know that many older “white” families have Native blood (Abenaki) they may or may not be able to document. For the families who are aware of their lineage, this matters hugely but is not spoken about. But (as in MA, esp SE) there’s a resurgence of Native culture. Be aware, and listen. (Wish I’d known this before starting my teaching career decades ago.) Other cultural matters: Religion is your own personal matter. There are a number of active congregations, but there’s also in many a dislike of proselytization. Freedom from religion is as important to many here as freedom to practice it. For my rural Central VT area, I disagree w Corey, as gun owners are very savvy about laws, the old-time hunters take critters for food (many are Native), and they can be trusted as guns are tools. Southern VT…there may be some differences. Ask around. Another thing, esp in smaller towns & villages: community is huge. The longer you live here, the more you’re aware of this . Most VTers aren’t wealthy, so knowing others is super-important, and helping is even more so. Local business matters a lot, and everyone counts. When you can, join a group—community service, arts, school-related, or a public office. Good places to get to know others in more rural areas: village stores, transfer stations, libraries, local co-ops, town halls, town garages & fire departments. Some towns have local newspapers and/or listservs. Gotta say this: COVID-19 is still here. Yes, it’s hitting unpredictably, even masked/vaxxed ppl (those have milder cases and with fast antiviral help can recover at home usually). Avoid close contact w non-fam ppl, esp indoors. Might be good to wait until late spring summer to hold yr wild parties, and even then, hold them outdoors. The virus is still with us. Where I am now is how I remember MA used to be. As a long-ago MA transplant (gave up dope to have teaching career & family), I’ll say Welcome, and I hope you bring as much good as you get and stay forever. If you are good, we need ye. Stay well & find happiness.

−5

spitsparadise OP t1_j9i66su wrote

Thanks for sharing your experience and what you've picked up on along the way! Peace and happy cake day.

suzi-r t1_j9i8y20 wrote

How kind you are—thank you!