Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

jesreson t1_j7vmanx wrote

I point my $10 Walmart antenna at mansfield and get ~30 channels. All the major networks and their Ota partners.

tossawayintheend t1_j7vv99n wrote

Same. Gets a little dodgier in the summer when the leaves are back (I'm kind of down in a hole behind a line of trees and close to the lake) but it's free!

bizarre_pencil t1_j7wkivt wrote

Where are you located? I’m in Fairfax and I tried this. Got the app to help locate the tower and everything. All I could get was some ESPN knockoff that was showing college lacrosse and a single channel playing black and white movies on a loop. Tried it in different spots on the wall and different rooms at different elevations.

jesreson t1_j7woiww wrote

Underhill but I used to get the same channels in Burlington. You might have to put something up in your attic

Professional-Bit6741 t1_j7vpurw wrote

In Charlotte. Point antenna at Mt Mansfield. Get all the networks. Great picture quality.

Optimized_Orangutan t1_j7vm0e2 wrote

Pretty useless in the NEK these days unless you really need 12 PBSs and no major networks, but I used to get all the big guys in South Burlington. There are a bunch of websites where you can enter your location and antenna specs and it will give you a list of broadcasters within range you can find on Google. Varies greatly depending on where you are and what mountains are between you and the towers.

Mindful-Reader1989 t1_j7vysuc wrote

Fantastic! I love it. We invested in a clearstream antenna and put it where the satellite dish used to be. We get all the major network channels for free!

vermontitguy t1_j7wlwyf wrote

Unavailable pretty much anywhere in Bennington County unless, perhaps, if you live at the top of a mountain with line of sight to Troy.

Visit https://antennaweb.org to check your location.

swarm32 t1_j7vm6gj wrote

Where?

In my experience, with the station consolidations allowed in the past decade, a number of the transmitters that gave people at least one or two stations were shut down or relocated to more profitable areas. This is on top of already poor reception due to the mountains.

rufustphish t1_j7waxmt wrote

The loss of signal was more of a switch to digital, i'm not aware of any stations that shut down. When it was analog, you could get a degraded signal further away. Digital not so much.

swarm32 t1_j7wufkh wrote

The switch to digital didn’t help, but also some stations no longer have repeaters on Mt. Ascutney or Equinox.

escobert t1_j7vmo2z wrote

My grandfather still used it (for fun, had a satellite dish as well) and got a few channels in Tunbridge until he died last summer.

Food_Library333 t1_j7w4cdh wrote

In Rutland I only get CBS and 2 identical PBS channels. Would love NBC and Fox for football but that's the only reason I'd want it.

Decweb t1_j7w8vcu wrote

What TV reception? I haven't seen TV in 14 years.

However I don't miss it at all so long as the internet is fast enough for streaming content (my basic DSL is fast enough), and maybe not even then.

SilverKelpie t1_j7wvs51 wrote

I used to just get the PBS channels and some French channels. Recently I got some channels that are associated with WCAX? Anyway, they appeared out of the blue and I suddenly felt like we were livin‘ fancy, haha. Some days they come in perfectly, others they skip all over the place.

Wired0ne t1_j7xl4r8 wrote

Fantastic reception. Many TV’s connected to the outdoor antenna. Feeds into, what was, the cable junction.

assholelarry t1_j8ggpuv wrote

Chittenden county…I have three antennas on three tvs.

Wptz/wcax and their alt channels come in great.

PBS 50/50..

ABC/fox no signal at all.

mslashandrajohnson t1_j7wilcj wrote

Was great up until the 1980’s.

Over the years (we didn’t have a tv when I was little), the standard went from commercials at :00 and :30 of every hour to three times per hour.

This did not reduce with paid cable tv.

Broadcast tv had its day, long ago.