Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

truckingon t1_j8a7i8m wrote

Indian Summer ("Indian" is a slur here, meaning liar, as in Indian Giver) refers to a warm spell in late fall. I've lived in Vermont for more than 50 years and "believe" in climate change, as if someone has to believe in something so obvious and proven. That said, the weather in Vermont is highly variable. I remember snowy early 1970s winters and a couple of non-winters in the 1980s. That snowmaking has been a necessary part of ski area operation for decades demonstrates that every winter isn't a postcard perfect Vermont winter.

I'm glad this has been a mild winter (ignoring last weekend) because that has reduced the cost of home heating, which has skyrocketed and is a huge burden for many people. The skiing and outdoor recreation has been pretty good too -- I spent yesterday snowshoeing through 3-4' deep snow on Laraway Mt. It may not look like winter where you are, especially if you're near the lake, but it definitely is in the woods. Enjoy the warm weather this week, who knows what the following week will bring.

sound_of_apocalypto t1_j8b0m0p wrote

It is far from definite that the phrase has anything to do with the slur.

truckingon t1_j8ba4z8 wrote

You're right. I'm also wrong about Indian Giver, I've always understood it as a gift that is taken back, not the expectation of a reciprocal gift. Thanks for correcting me.

yamshortbread t1_j8df9sz wrote

Historical documentation of the term shows that "Indian summer" most likely refers to a period of warm and hazy fall weather when certain First Nations peoples liked to hunt, and is not related to the pejorative term "indian giver." But yes, it has absolutely nothing to do with warm weather in the depths of winter.