Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tensleepmcgee t1_jcwqfec wrote

Yes, live in Wy, spent chunks of my life in NE. I was checking the VT sub because oddly enough im thinking through lately….

New England has many overlaps with what drew people west, but with sane politics but more importantly safe water access.

The political craziness with come and go in the mtn west, but the water issues won’t.

Where is 10-100+ acres of land with a beautiful farmhouse and barn, close-ish to metros, mountains, no/low taxes, … but also safe water and under $500k (or much less).

New England. People will start doing the math as the water crisis lands. Only counterbalance I could see is if NE loses its snow such that the skiing drops off.

And to the point here - ya that amount of inbound interest will do craziness to the states that receive it. When the resorts and airport proposals start, best to do highly skeptical reviews locally Colorado and Montana went first, I think Wyoming is a bit more on guard now.

kellogsmalone t1_jcxkdyw wrote

Dude...

If my brain was a dartboard. Bullseye. But I had this realization back in 2016 while Vermont was still net a population loss. The secret was out after the pandemic. My wife and I finally made it work though. And yes, things are expensive, but they're that way everywhere. Housing is expensive everywhere. The problem is Vermonts inventory is just so so low. It's tough for people to get here. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Necessary_Cat_4801 t1_jd8ziql wrote

It's tough for working people to get here. Rich people seem to have no problem at all. VT is becoming very exclusive. I'm sure some old people see that as a good thing, for me it's a reason to leave.

kellogsmalone t1_jda6161 wrote

I think Vermont has always been pretty exclusive...like since it's inception. It fell between the British colonies and the French water routes and so it never got attention until Benning Wentworth started the New Hampshire grants, even then it was disputed territory. Seems the history is alive and well in some form or fashion.