Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Kvltadelic t1_jdj7cw6 wrote

Oh you didn’t get a warm vibe from people? I can’t imagine why.

It’s almost as if everyone in the country has made up a cartoonish stereotype about who lives here and then proceeded to show up and tell us how much of a disappointment we are when daily life is not an egalitarian love orgy covered in maple syrup.

CellistHour4606 t1_jdjbvez wrote

Is there some place to sign up for the maple syrup orgy? 😆

DobieWonKenobi t1_jdjcigv wrote

It would 100% change my perspective 🤣

−2

Kvltadelic t1_jdjl5lp wrote

You’d regret it. All those beards and the maple syrup sticking to everyone…. It’s not a great situation.

DobieWonKenobi t1_jdje8r4 wrote

The people are a disappointment. I thought a place that prides itself and identifies itself as a social haven would treat other humans more…humanely. Obv asking a bit too much from r/Vermont lol

−5

Kvltadelic t1_jdjjlyt wrote

No, YOU pride and identify us as being a social haven. WE pride ourselves as being self reliant and treating each other with dignity.

You are just making my point so clearly: VT exists outside of our relationship to you. We are not a utopia, we are the real world just like everywhere else.

I think Vermonters treat people very humanely, it just might not look exactly like what you think it should. I don’t “welcome” anyone because I don’t really talk to people I don’t know, I value leaving other people alone.

I have nothing but love in my heart for you, and I really hope you stay.

It’s sometimes hard when we are just going about our daily lives, working and trying to get by, and people are upset we aren’t a greeting card that takes place inside of a farmers market.

greeneyedbandit82 t1_jdj6ymc wrote

Interesting move, posting an anti-vermonter post in the vermont subreddit...this will not go well........

As someone who has lived in both places- the south (Louisiana for a couple of years) and here (graduated here and have been back for about 5-6 years now), I am shocked that you're disappointed with our people. I was absolutely gobsmacked NUMEROUS times by all sorts of people- from my boss to randos- by their close-mindedness and blatant, outward racism when I lived in the south. Yes, racism and prejudice exist here- Vermont is not some magical portal where every resident is open minded and nice. But I also enjoy living somewhere where religion isn't shoved down my throat at every turn. Also, education here blows the south out of the water. Not sure where in VT you reside, but I feel like most of the people I encounter are pretty nice.

I feel like back in high school (graduated about 20 years ago) Vermont definitely had this granola reputation- people thought of hippies and the gay community and thought it was all rainbows and kittens here. It's not. But I would take it over the south every.single.day.

BooksNCats11 t1_jdj9yzz wrote

So like, this is the main complaint I've seen about people from out of state moving here.

They think they are getting friendly hippie commune people that will welcome them with open arms.

That's not what we are. It's never been what we are. We will ABSOLUTELY come together if we need to as a community (look at hurricane Irene and Rochester, VT for a good example). We will grumbly tow you out of the ditch rather than leave you there, but we aren't gonna give you our number and invite you out for drinks.

Generally speaking the people that live here do so *because* they want to be left alone. Especially the more rural you get. We aren't friendly people, especially to people that are new because we know they tend to leave in under 5yrs.

DobieWonKenobi t1_jdjeico wrote

Maybe if this is such a common complaint, there is a larger issue at play. But no it’s all the out of towners fault. And btw lots of communities come together in times of distress, very commonplace. Look at the country immediately after 9/11

−4

BooksNCats11 t1_jdjt97a wrote

Yes. The larger issue at play is that people moving here from far away places have idyllic ideas about what actually happens here. That's the problem. It's not us, we've been the same since forever. People moving here don't bother to actually see what's what before coming in.

Necessary_Cat_4801 t1_jdj5r7i wrote

You expected people in New England to be fake-friendly like people in the south? Whoops! Yes, costs are rising everywhere. Ours went up like crazy during COVID, and the only logical explanation is a shit load of people moving here to work from home. Sorry we aren't thrilled about it. And there are a lot of fake people and virtue signaling types here but lots of them just got here too.

DobieWonKenobi t1_jdjetdo wrote

Not fake friendly, just something along the lines of basic respect and human decency would suffice

−1

vermont4runner t1_jdj4vvz wrote

Almost like all those signs and slogans were virtue signaling.

Nobody in Vermont really gives a fuck about any other state’s issues. We don’t have issues with blm or antifa here, we also don’t have kkk or white supremacy groups. We have far too many local issues to deal with.

People in Vermont want to be left the fuck alone and will shun everyone equally who tries to change that and our state.

You’re complaining about lgbtq groups, friend we have hardly any people to begin with. Good luck finding communities of people that make up under 1% of the general population. It’s not that they’re persecuted, they’re not, we just don’t have the population to support what you’re looking for.

Lots of people here are cold and closed off to new faces. New faces tend to immediately stir the pot and attempt to exploit our homes. We have a massive housing shortage caused by, and yes for real, those who are from out of state. Our home has become a top destination for vacation homes and Airbnbs. It has sucked the life out of the housing market and forced long time locals from their homes. So don’t expect a warm welcome when you arrive the same as all the other leeches. You need to prove yourself a friend of the locals before you get a warm welcome, we’re not mean or angry, we’re hurt. Prove yourself a friend and your neighbors will move heaven and earth to help you.

So please take your patronizing self righteous post and shove it up your ass.

SinisterSweets t1_jdj75de wrote

Couldn't have said it better myself. I work in retail, I hear it all. But most of all, I hear the newcomers asking how to get delivery and big name fast food, where's Target or Walmart. Why is everything closed at 8pm? Why don't you have staff?

It sucks because, like a lot of locals, we like how it is, and everyone just wants to change it. We recently had one of the original buildings in my town destroyed to put in a coffee place. It hurt the locals a lot.

thisoneisnotasbad t1_jdjak0g wrote

That’s cool, don’t worry, we are disappointed in you too.

DobieWonKenobi t1_jdjepuv wrote

Wonderful! A caring person who spends most weekends volunteering in the community is someone who disappoints Vermonters!

−2

timberwolf0122 t1_jdj6mry wrote

Where in vermont are you? So far I’ve found everyone super warm and nice.

JaxBratt t1_jdjauoa wrote

I like trees, and dogs, and birds, and silence, and rocks, and… and… and… people are somewhere way down on that list so… ? Live and leave me the fuck alone. Though I and most of my neighbors are more than happy to help and lift up our community, that’s different than signing up to be anyone’s friend or entertainment.

stinkystinkymmmm t1_jdjcksj wrote

Ngl the entitlement of flatlanders will never cease to amaze me.

Primary-Cap-3147 t1_jdjd8dq wrote

I’m a recent transplant, and I’m honestly relieved to leave the “neighborly” phoniness from whence I came. That said, this sounds like a you problem.

Our closest neighbor has a shooting range in his backyard. We sometimes drink beer and shoot skeet. I make bread for our other neighbor, and he shares from his garden and effectively has become my Vermont dad. Don’t move anywhere expecting to be welcomed with open arms based on some fantasy you have of a place. You’ll be welcomed when you demonstrate some grace and understanding of the space you’re moving to.

Baldran t1_jdj6cfu wrote

Cool story bro. 👍

Unique-Public-8594 t1_jdjbtd0 wrote

Anecdotal experiences vary.

I’ve lived in 7 states and Vermont has been the friendliest, by FAR. Lived down south 3 years (Florida), worst racism I ever experienced was there.

Sorry you don’t have the same feeling but your experience is not necessarily true for all. You are stereotyping.

reverievt t1_jdjdyh4 wrote

If everywhere you go you smell cowshit, check your own shoes.

varadins t1_jdjcvv2 wrote

A few years now? You posted a year ago asking if you can get around without winter tires on a Honda Accord.

0thell0perrell0 t1_jdj47rl wrote

Wow that's weird, not sure why you had that experience, I haven't at all.

Formal_Coyote_5004 t1_jdp1a3k wrote

If you’re still here OP, I really think it’s a you issue. People here are generally friendly. Reddit doesn’t reflect that well, but your entitlement really is insane.

Maybe it’s because I’ve worked in the restaurant industry my whole life, and I’m constantly trying to make everyone’s day a little better, but even when I’m off the clock I try to be nice. I work in the “fancy” town but I go home to a humble town. I never ever have experienced animosity from any fellow Vermonters. We might be grumpy if you get your car stuck in a ditch but we’ll pull you out of it without hesitation. This is how we operate.

If you think people are being rude, maybe you’re the rude one. I can’t imagine that SO many people have been rude to you that this is your definite assessment of this state.

Be nice and people will be nice back.

Cheers - a Vermonter

lantonas t1_jdj2zf0 wrote

Liberals ... BLM signs ... virtue signaling

−1