Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Riaayo t1_jda7j2y wrote

Huge disagree. It absolutely is a danger to human health.

Ya'll can do whatever you want, but it's mind-blowing to me to see people just hand-wave this. Your health is worth a lot more than a bucket of sap.

This is admittedly a huge red flag to me ever wanting to try anyone's home-tapped syrup though lol, yikes.

woolsocksandsandals t1_jda7mvt wrote

I disagree with your disagree. It’s not.

−4

Riaayo t1_jda8733 wrote

How toxic a dead thing is doesn't care if you disagree lol.

Best of luck, I hope your disregard for this never bites you in the ass (or anyone you care about that you ever share this stuff with).

woolsocksandsandals t1_jda8e2g wrote

I’m going to boil up a dead rat for my kids right now. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Riaayo t1_jda8xkv wrote

I mean just go take a shit in your next meal while you're making it and keep cooking for a while. It'll be fine, right?

Do it to own me.

woolsocksandsandals t1_jdabggc wrote

I love how smart you think you are. It’s inspiring.

−1

Riaayo t1_jdao6ex wrote

I, on the other hand, don't love how you feel this odd need to state something spiteful to a complete stranger online just because they dared to tell you you're incorrect about the dangers of dead animals in your foodstuffs.

I can't imagine what it's like to even jokingly tell someone you're going to go boil up a dead rat for your own children, just to spite a stranger, who happens to be trying to tell you about the fact that it would be dangerous to serve up to those very children a substance that has had a dead animal in it.

It's bizarre and sad, let alone totally uncalled for. But hey, I clapped back with something immature in response so fuck me too right?

woolsocksandsandals t1_jdar5jn wrote

I’m not incorrect. It’s really not a big deal for someone to boil sap that a mouse drown in. It’s gross but it’s not going to harm any one.

Riaayo t1_jdas7p8 wrote

> I’m not incorrect.

You are, but do what you want with your life. I ain't wishing you no ill.

woolsocksandsandals t1_jdatnbu wrote

Bruh, you almost certainly eat more contaminated food than that all the time.

Fast food, hot dogs, veggie burgers, cereal and just about anything else made with grains far more risky than this situation. Unless you’re eating a grain free vegan whole food diet you’re eating rodent shit more often than you would like to.

Riaayo t1_jdauzu2 wrote

I am not so naive as to not understand there are certain levels of contaminants in commercial food, but that's why there are regulations for "acceptable" / safe levels of such things - and why those who go outside of those regulations should at least in theory be held liable/accountable for it, especially if someone were to get sick.

None of this changes that botulism is a thing, and that a dead animal in your foodstuffs is a serious contamination. We're not talking about a few ants or something, we're talking about a full on dead/decomposing mammal.

What corporations do also has zero baring on how you prepare and store your own food that you have harvested and processed yourself.

I don't have a problem with ignorance or rural living. People don't know what they don't know until they know it. But I definitely take some issue with people who refuse to admit they didn't know something or refuse to admit reality, entirely on the basis that admitting so would inconvenience them. Considering you've stated it's okay to admit you don't know something to someone else, I would think you'd be more open to that yourself.

You want to take these risks? Go for it. You're totally allowed if you're the only one consuming it and you aren't selling it. But when you come out in public and start advocating that there is no danger, and others could come across and read this and be misinformed by your personal desire to disregard safety? That's a problem.

You do you, but don't go advocating for willful ignorance of the severity of having dead animals in contact with your food to where other people will pick up that misinformation and potentially harm themselves in the process.

woolsocksandsandals t1_jdc6jl7 wrote

You don’t seem to understand how sap is collected or made or what constitutes a food that presents a botulism danger.

Maple syrup is usually collected daily and is only collected at times of the year where temperatures are generally pretty low. Therefore decomposition isn’t really going to happen in this scenario. The main contaminant is going to be a very small quantity of feces. After the sap is collected it’s filtered and then boiled for a loooong time. Botulism toxin is rendered inert at 185° and the bacteria is self dies at 212° after ten minutes. The spores are going to survive the process but it’s my understanding that the high sugar content of the syrup does something to the spore that stops it from reproducing or producing the toxin.

Therefore not a danger. Gross, but not a danger.