Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Unique-Public-8594 t1_ityzoda wrote

I wonder if this violates child labor law

−6

ethandavid42 t1_ityzw08 wrote

Not sure. They were just sitting there, not working on anything. But it seemed like they were being used like props for whatever the adults are doing. They also seemed to be school age, which makes me think they're not local, or someone would be ensuring they are in a classroom.

I'm guessing. I don't know their circumstances or the applicable law. It angers me that they're being used in this way, though. The adults are capable of taking care of themselves if they're moving around the area like it seems like they are.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_itz1vxj wrote

You’re right.

I just wondered, if they are being made to be part of begging business, would that be considered work? That the parents are guilty of making them work? Child labor.

but they could claim homeschooling / they weren’t actually working, just sitting, so hard to prove.

Maybe a call to police or DCF?

NobodySpecific t1_itzhe1b wrote

Child labor laws don't apply because there are exemptions to the FLSA

> Minors under age 16 working in a business solely owned or operated by their parents or by persons standing in place of their parents, can work any time of day and for any number of hours. However, parents are prohibited from employing their child in manufacturing or mining or in any of the occupations declared hazardous by the Secretary of Labor.

ethandavid42 t1_itz1zyn wrote

I didn't see them doing anything other than just sitting on the ground. They might be doing something else in a different spot.

deadowl t1_iu1fapp wrote

Clearly it's going to become illegal to make children do any homework or house chores if Proposal 2 passes.