Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Unique-Public-8594 t1_itlxg8r wrote

You say not Barre but there was Boisvert’s cobbler in Barre.

Now I’m curious.

Hope you find it and find it well preserved.

NightOnFuckMountain OP t1_itmfnhu wrote

I'm not 100% on the cobbler, but there were many artisan shops, and lots of huge trees growing out over the road in the middle of town. I don't think there were any buildings taller than the trees. It would not have been out of place to see a cobbler or blacksmith. I don't think it was Barre because I've been through Barre many times, but I'm checking anyway.

Sorry, not Barre.

Thank you!

Unique-Public-8594 t1_itmgryt wrote

So, tree-lined street, year-round flags on every telephone pole, historic shops, mountains, and a modern misfit building housing dollar-type store attached to a grocery store.

Thanks for the map.

Hmmm. Good puzzle.

NightOnFuckMountain OP t1_itmsa1y wrote

So my fiancee is helping me out here, and she's pulled up a few towns which are very similar looking to the town I'm remembering, just not in the right area.

It looks a lot like the 'main street' area of both Chester and Grafton, but both of those towns were outside the territory of where I was sent for work. It was more mountainous and further north, but as far as the actual town goes, Chester is the closest I've seen so far, similar architecture and building styles. I'll post the link so you have an idea of the vibe.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2641601,-72.5979413,3a,75y,298.73h,97.4t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sM3xvy3ig8l9sJ6g2sTF6yw!2e0!5s20180901T000000!7i13312!8i6656

NightOnFuckMountain OP t1_itmj4wg wrote

I'm assuming the flags were year round because I wasn't there near Independence Day, Memorial Day, or Labor Day. The reason I'm so hung up on it is because the whole place was a weird experience and I'd like to go back to see if it was as weird as I'm remembering it. I was the only person there and the whole town was dead silent. Nothing looked abandoned or blighted, just didn't see any people. All I heard was the wind, and birds as I drove through. I saw a couple of people at the supermarket and there were a few cars parked at the dollar store, but nobody in the rest of the town.

Until I saw the dollar tree/grocery store I thought I may have accidentally driven onto the set of a movie. It would have been creepy if it wasn't so beautiful.

I am totally stumped.

haruspex t1_itmuhmc wrote

Are you sure you're not just remembering the first episode of The Twilight Zone? 😂