Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

friedmpa t1_irifiwh wrote

Ah yes cities in vermont

Unique-Public-8594 t1_irig3ve wrote

1. Middlebury

2. Montpelier, Essex Junction, Brattleboro, St Johnsbury, Bennington.

3. Burlington, St Albans, Rutland, Barre

r20 t1_irigety wrote

Which of these foods should I eat tonight.

Salad

Pizza

Toast

Carrot soup

Naan and peanut butter

The answer is - it depends, isn’t it?

njpanther t1_irijfse wrote

Right? The thing about these cities is that they are all distinctly different with their pros and cons. They could be awesome for the right person and horrible for another.

thisoneisnotasbad t1_irikbes wrote

Rutland or ST. Albans. No contest. One of those two, maybe Barre if those two are full.

Benjamindbloom t1_irikkfc wrote

Kind of depends what you mean by "best". What's important to you?

Middlebury has a lot of things going for it and would be on my short list. It's going to be more rural than Burlington or Essex.

I lived in Essex for 8 years and liked it very much. The schools are quite good and it's conveniently situated to many things (mountains, airport, Burlington, lake).

The Burlington "metro area" has a lot of great places to live - Shelburne, Charlotte, South Burlington, Williston, Colchester all have good schools and communities.

I wouldn't necessarily exclude the other towns, I just don't have as much personal experience with them other than visiting occasionally.

nobody_you_know t1_irir7ar wrote

Housing is beyond fucked in Middlebury right now. If you're interested in the general Middlebury area, I'd suggest a nearby town, and south will be more affordable (sort of) than north.

But between new faculty, staff, an unusually large population of students living off-campus for the next few years, and a lot of places being AirBnB'd for visiting parents, renting in Midd is a blood sport these days.

TheLazyGeniuses t1_iriuc2a wrote

I would kindly disagree about Rutland. I'm sure everyone has different values for raising children so maybe Rutland works for them.

But I care about places that are walkable and safe for children to have independence. Rutland isn't that.

Trajikbpm t1_irj8yrv wrote

Did you just give us your homework?

Peony_sunset t1_irjxl0h wrote

St. Albans Town (not city) or Essex.

serenity450 t1_irl6ibf wrote

Essex and St. J have good schools. Middlebury.

Mooseknuckel55 t1_irldsbs wrote

Bennington is zombieland. Go to Cumberland Farms at anytime of day and observe. I'd say Wal-mart but your kids don't need to see that.

Jerry_Williams69 t1_irljxg7 wrote

Essex and Essex Junction are awesome. I like Essex more because of the setting, but both have great schools, programs for kids/families, low crime, lots of parks, etc. I lived in Essex Junction and now live in Essex Town. Really happy in both.