Submitted by Shire-Rat t3_y016sp in vermont

Flatlander here, planning a quick, spontaneous visit Monday through Wednesday to paint sugar maples in their autumn glory, and I can't decide where to book a room: southern, central? Mad River Valley? What's in like in the Lake Eden or Lake Elmore areas? I was hoping that some Vermonters could advise me on local conditions. I'm especially interested in quiet dirt roads lined with sugar maples, or reflecting in streams/lakes. The fall foliage report I saw says almost the entire state is in moderate to peak foliage, and the there are so many lovely places that it's overwhelming.

I solemnly swear to keep to the right except when passing on I-89, to refrain entirely from trespassing, and also to pull over in a respectful manner and park in a way that blocks no one.

Thanks!

EDIT: Many thanks for all of these helpful comments and messages! I found a place a place to stay and I'm on my way now, and tomorrow I will paint!

UPDATE: I had a fantastic trip through the Mad River Valley area, spent hours Groton State Forest in the late afternoon where I did some drawings at Boulder Beach, stopped to take pictures of the mist on Echo Lake, checked out Jamaica state park, and drove home through Townshend where I pulled over to paint at the Townshend Lake Day Use area. Vermont is so beautiful and clean. The air smells delicious. It became more of a scouting trip than a painting trip, though. I ended up driving around more than I planned because so many restaurants, general stores, taverns, etc. were closed, even if their hours were listed as open. I ended up lurking around Montpelier where I knew I could find a hot meal, LOL. Thank heavens for the Brandon Country Store for that omelette (thanks April!), because Ludlow cafes were all closed. But overall it was a blast. The Mad River Valley had the most intense color. Two days was not enough time.

​

I have saved every single suggestion in the comments below for my next trip. I plan to leave earlier, stay longer, visit Lake Willoughby, and bring a well-stocked cooler. Thank you all very, very much.

​

And yes, the sugar maples have to be painted, har har.

​

​

Jack Frost, illustrated by Maxfield Parrish

​

​

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_irpfk68 wrote

Elmore is peak now. Beautiful.

Stowe is over crowded.

Lodging hard to come by.

You sound awesome. Good luck. Enjoy.

OrdinaryTension t1_irrct52 wrote

We went on a bike ride on Saturday on the west side of Mt Mansfield, the roads between Cambridge & Underhill were quiet & gorgeous.

7Autumn7 t1_irpfj9b wrote

This guy (Vermont) Reddits.

Benjamindbloom t1_irpgtow wrote

Lots of places going off right now. Mad river valley has been beautiful. Hills in Williston, too. I’d bet Bristol has good scenes to paint with less hubbub than Stowe, middlebury, etc.

IrukandjiPirate t1_irq4qrb wrote

You’ll be lucky to get a room, never mind be picky about where.

raqnroll t1_irpjhsa wrote

Hancock/Pittsfield/Rochester 🔥🔥🔥

Optimized_Orangutan t1_irrz9dm wrote

If you come to Vermont to paint foliage you are cheating yourself if you don't make it up to the Willoughby State Forrest and Willoughby gap. Lots of other areas are great "Vermonty" tourist traps, but the NEK is still a pretty authentic rural Vermont experience.

Shire-Rat OP t1_irs599y wrote

I've been to Willoughby a few years ago; truly gorgeous and remote. I hope to return soon!

Optimized_Orangutan t1_irs5szr wrote

I'm going to DM you a Google map tonight with a great overlook pinned. Please do not share the location with others. Go there and paint, one of the most beautiful places in Vermont/the world.

durpdurpturd t1_irpncgj wrote

Eden is remote. If you have a place to stay there take it. Elmore is beautiful but may be more people.

wholeWheatButterfly t1_irpxh19 wrote

Barnard was beautiful on Friday. Killington doesn't seem as great this year or it's just past peak.

cjrecordvt t1_irrxlat wrote

It feels like Killington has been peaking early, last few years.

jdoe6218 t1_irqzs8t wrote

I live near Stratton, Bromley and Magic mountain and it’s absolutely beautiful around here. Stay gold!

mistahboogs t1_irrojss wrote

Millstone trails in central VT, head to the lookout. Amazing right now

Solid_Reference2323 t1_irr85jb wrote

I have some ideas for soVT.. Just messaged you about some spots in southern Vermont. PS I’m technically a flatlander too, born in New Jersey In the 80s and moved here when I was two. welcome:)

WantDastardlyBack t1_irrlqd1 wrote

I took a drive out to the Islands this weekend as my husband wanted to have lunch at Kraemer & Kin's newer brewery/restaurant location. My guess is it will reach peak this weekend and several establishments out there have vacancy signs.

dohp t1_irrqxn4 wrote

My deepest sympathies to your bank account in making this trip. If you really want to experience the fall foliage, and don't want to go broke... Bring a tent :)

Shire-Rat OP t1_irs5rid wrote

I know! I did manage to find a place, but only just...

c_l_who t1_irt55kp wrote

Woodbury/Cabot was stunning today. Most vibrant colors I’ve seen this season. Perfect for painting

mycophdstudent t1_irridmr wrote

Cabot Plains by the AM Foster covered bridge from the Cabot Plains Rd offers a wide open colorful view of many summits making up the spine of the Green mountains and into Quebec. You'll see a covered bridge, a marble quarry, the Lowell windfarm, Jay Peak, Mt. Mansfield, Camel's Hump, Lincoln Peak/Mt. Abe and more. It's peak there and also not very crowded with leaf peepers.

Edit: link to photos:

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/foster-covered-bridge-in-fall-cabot-panoramic-images.jpg

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/3/sunset-at-am-foster-bridge-robert-golub.jpg

xoxofeebzz t1_irsjcwn wrote

Richmond and Waterbury are very vibrant right now, really good this year!

Mundane_Income987 t1_irspbq2 wrote

Update with the painting and where you went after if possible! It’s hard to go wrong anywhere right now. Enjoy!

Loudergood t1_irsw35r wrote

Stephensville Rd in Underhill.

NETosser t1_irsy44b wrote

Getting past peak in central Vt, as south as you can

Calligraphee t1_irtb06c wrote

Don't forget to share the fruits of your labors here! We all love a good painting of foliage :)

EasternKanye t1_iru56mn wrote

I didn't know our sugar maples needed to be painted.