Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

beatrixotter t1_ity8g6v wrote

For my entire childhood until well after I graduated from college, my parents' house was never locked. I never owned or even saw a house key for our home.

QuicheSmash t1_itz66uk wrote

We pretty much never lock our doors unless we're away overnight.

thestateisgreen t1_itz9160 wrote

We leave ours open even when we leave 😬

We also have great neighbors.

LilaJaneFuller t1_itz96nj wrote

Until about twenty years ago, we would go on vacation for two weeks and leave the house unlocked. Once we tried to lock it because there had been some burglaries in the neighborhood. But we couldn’t find a key. So we just shrugged our shoulders and left for the airport.

SemperFuu t1_itz9l88 wrote

Don’t tell this to r/Burlington they believe there’s nowhere that you can leave your home and car unlocked Edit: nowhere in vermont or USA from what I’ve gathered* Seems like not many have lived in diverse areas of rural, country, city etc from different parts of USA

josaline t1_itzieg4 wrote

Honestly, had stuff stolen off my porch and from my unlocked car when I lived in burlington and s. Burlington. So…definitely a thing to think about there

Twombls t1_iu02db7 wrote

People check the door handles on my car every night in burlington lol. You really dont wanna leave your doors unlocked.

r1kk1-t1kk1-t4v1 t1_itz7q8s wrote

We actually don't have the key to our front door, but it can still lock. If that happens we have to walk around to the door that just has a knob, no lock.

whaletacochamp t1_itzdxky wrote

Same. It wasn’t until a few years ago when a neighbor had a break in that they started locking it.

We moved to an even more rural town and our neighbors JUST started locking their doors this year after we had a break in.

Sudden_Dragonfly2638 t1_iu09m44 wrote

Part of it for us is living out in the woods out of sight or earshot of neighbors, a locked door is hardly a deterrent. If someone wants in the can just break a window and no one will know.

JessandGun t1_itzhq4f wrote

We were pretty good about locking our doors when I was growing up but we really doubled down after our house was broken into and our puppy stolen when I was in 6th grade. My parents have since moved to somewhere more remote than where I grew up and they still lock their doors