Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tauntauntom t1_iui8lpi wrote

Moist-Adhesiveness78 t1_iui9xyw wrote

It’s a very common misconception that hunters are only in it for the trophies or for the act of killing. I started hunting nearly 30 years ago and the taking of a life still nearly sickens me. Being connected to the wilderness on a primal level while in the field and that I can bring home humanely harvested meat to my family is what it’s all about for me. Teaching my children that meet doesn’t come packaged from a grocery store (there’s a few steps prior to that) and teaching them to respect the animal and the land is my main goal for the future.

Jerry_Williams69 t1_iuif1kd wrote

I think most people know that most hunters are good intentioned. EVERYONE hates poachers and trophy hunters. Good hunters sometime get caught in the cross fire.

disgustorabbit t1_iuim1fo wrote

I’ve always been anti-hunting (for sport, mostly) but this actually makes a lot of sense to do this for your family and for the animals. If we must eat meat, the more humanely it’s done the better. That’s what I think, anyway.

thisoneisnotasbad t1_iuj6f90 wrote

The one hunting rule in the house is “if you kill it, you eat it”. Mice are exempt. Ants are not.

That and having seen the commercial meat industry in action, I have trouble eating store bought meat.

tauntauntom t1_iuibld1 wrote

I never meant to offend. I grew up with hunter friends, but never hunted and never asked about it. So I only knew what I learned by listening to them and from media.

Moist-Adhesiveness78 t1_iuibzqb wrote

I’m not offended at all. No worries. Thanks for having an open mind about it. If more non hunters had open minds like you we would be able to have more effective discussions about land and game management.