Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ARealVermontar t1_iwzsomo wrote

You paint a very bleak picture. I think there's some truth in there but most parts don't seem accurate to me (e.g. why would newcomers want to raise the cost of living "as an experiment to test the locals"? Makes no sense. All new communities being built are unneighborly? Really?)

Have you ever been screened for depression?

brymandog OP t1_ix095b2 wrote

My neighbors who just moved in Texas, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania and 1 from Colorado. Saw the person from Texas and I said, “good morning beautiful day” he looked at me as if it was an insult, didn’t say a word and walked into his apt like I didn’t exist. It doesn’t cost anything to be nice. It took more effort to ignore me …

−2

ARealVermontar t1_ix0q7xs wrote

That sounds like a single unsatisfying interaction, not the harbinger of doom for a state's consciousness. Maybe the guy is socially anxious or autistic or misheard you or is just awkward. Vermont will survive his presence here.

brymandog OP t1_ix0tcbv wrote

Hopefully this moment will live rent free in your mind the next time you see Karen yelling at server, waiting in line in traffic to go snowboarding/skiing or the newest development being built in an area you once enjoyed!

−13

ARealVermontar t1_ix0wfjx wrote

Thanks for offering me the kind of neighborly, Vermonty well-wishes you're trying to preserve. Appreciate it!

Trajikbpm t1_ix0fxlc wrote

I think some people are scared of Vermonters with all the hate and slander out of staters get. Of course a lot of it is justified...but the good people coming here that could benefit all of us are on edge. I mean the number one tip moving here is switch your plate and blend in as fast as possible. I know some people who are terrified to be asked where they came from.

FyuckerFjord t1_ix1304l wrote

I'm not scared of the type of native Vermonters who see me as an invasive species but I am expecting a confrontation at all times and operate at threat level midnight. That changes how I deal with people right off the bat and I find myself reverting to my gruffer self by default and I don't like it. I rather enjoyed the laid back middle-aged dude I turned into rather than the bar-fighting rapscallion I once was.