Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

brymandog OP t1_ix095b2 wrote

Reply to comment by ARealVermontar in Vermont Native by brymandog

My neighbors who just moved in Texas, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania and 1 from Colorado. Saw the person from Texas and I said, “good morning beautiful day” he looked at me as if it was an insult, didn’t say a word and walked into his apt like I didn’t exist. It doesn’t cost anything to be nice. It took more effort to ignore me …

−2

ARealVermontar t1_ix0q7xs wrote

That sounds like a single unsatisfying interaction, not the harbinger of doom for a state's consciousness. Maybe the guy is socially anxious or autistic or misheard you or is just awkward. Vermont will survive his presence here.

brymandog OP t1_ix0tcbv wrote

Hopefully this moment will live rent free in your mind the next time you see Karen yelling at server, waiting in line in traffic to go snowboarding/skiing or the newest development being built in an area you once enjoyed!

−13

ARealVermontar t1_ix0wfjx wrote

Thanks for offering me the kind of neighborly, Vermonty well-wishes you're trying to preserve. Appreciate it!

Trajikbpm t1_ix0fxlc wrote

I think some people are scared of Vermonters with all the hate and slander out of staters get. Of course a lot of it is justified...but the good people coming here that could benefit all of us are on edge. I mean the number one tip moving here is switch your plate and blend in as fast as possible. I know some people who are terrified to be asked where they came from.

FyuckerFjord t1_ix1304l wrote

I'm not scared of the type of native Vermonters who see me as an invasive species but I am expecting a confrontation at all times and operate at threat level midnight. That changes how I deal with people right off the bat and I find myself reverting to my gruffer self by default and I don't like it. I rather enjoyed the laid back middle-aged dude I turned into rather than the bar-fighting rapscallion I once was.