Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FunkyOldMayo t1_iwzswyn wrote

Fellow VT native here, but a little older.

I have a good number of friends that moved here and they’re all great people who add a lot to our community; Have you tried talking to some of these “terrible people”?

IndefinableMustache t1_iwzuzhi wrote

It’s easier to glare at them and make assumptions as I drive by in my 2005 Dodge Ram with “Native” and “802” stickers

brymandog OP t1_iwzv1dx wrote

This post was a shotgun shell of thoughts this morning after exchanges with my property management and landlord in Waterbury. I’ve lived in my apartment since 2017. My rent was $1450 a month. The building has been sold 3 times in the past 4 years. They now want me to sign a lease for $2000 a month with nothing included. The property management company will not give me the number to the landlord to speak with them directly to inform them I will move out, but I can’t find a place to live by December 1st. I asked to pay the 2000 a month until I find a place to live. They said they won’t work with me unless I sign up for a year. I found out that husband was completely was willing to give us some time to move out, but the wife was not. They don’t live on Vermont they are from Massachusetts. This scenario is what this post derived from

IndefinableMustache t1_iwzw0gm wrote

I’m sorry you are experiencing this, it’s not fair. Have you tried contacting any of your representatives or local housing authority to see if that could be of assistance? I also don’t think this is a uniquely VT problem, I’ve heard similar stories from all over the US.

somedudevt t1_iwzz73q wrote

Stop paying rent, refuse to leave. It’s almost impossible to evict in the winter in Vermont (my mother rented our childhood home when we moved when we were younger and the tenants didn’t pay, it took 10 months and multiple court visits to get them out, and in the end they never paid the back rent)

If the ruling class wants compliance, it should be met with the opposite.

As a fellow Copley 1980’s baby, I agree with your general outlook. While I don’t know that we want the opposite end of the spectrum (MAGA Garbage) we also need to have our politicians in Montpelier taking action against these issues. We can’t have the state catering to the wealthy. Air BnB and short term rentals should be outlawed, landlords should be limited on the number of units they have, and landlords who don’t act in the interest of the states residents (looking at the Boves) should have their properties taken under eminent domain and repurposed to public housing (not income based, but rent controlled)

PizzaxBeach t1_iwzxnlq wrote

Offer to sign a month to month lease. Or don’t and stay until you find something and don’t pay anything. By the time they work through the paperwork and eviction process it could be months. Especially in the wintertime. You will have found a place to stay and be out. They’re welcome to sue you but since you don’t own property it probably won’t be worth it for them. Sorry about your situation, good luck!

WhatTheCluck802 t1_ix2k556 wrote

Contact Vermont Legal Aid to see what protections you might have against their predatory behavior potentially making you homeless.

And anonymously mail them a glitter bomb. 💥

kickerconspiracy t1_iwzzlfp wrote

Fwiw one of the only "big" apartment rental/commercial properties in Hartland just got sold and the new owner is doubling the rent immediately without any improvements. We're trying to get a tenants union together but afraid it's too late.

Ok-Glass7272 t1_ix03fhe wrote

You have my condolences. This is happening everywhere. In one day I had a friend of mine say her friend that was living in a condo-ed building (four story mostly 2 bedroom units) and that her lease was coming up. Investors have been buying condos for rental income all over this area. My friend's friend said that her unit just sold and the new owner was doubling the rent. That same day a realtor friend of mine stopped in, elated, as she had recently sold several properties, including the same unit. My friend's friend, the renter, said she will probably have to stay as there are waiting lists on every rental property in our community. On top of that - I live in a very vibrant town on the NH seacoast but am originally from VT - our restaurants and retail shops, which are popular, can't find workers. Why? Because they can't afford to live anywhere near our town. This situation, like yours, is not sustainable.

pro_conser333 t1_ix01hnu wrote

I’m originally from Massachusetts and landlords there are extremely greedy. I lived in the same apartment for almost 10 years and paid $900 a month for a 2 bedroom. He sold the building 6 months before we moved to Vermont. The new landlord immediately raised the rent to $1,200 and said in 3 months it would be going up to $1,500. We moved before the second rent hike. My mom passed away from cancer 1 year ago. She had state housing and paid $200 for the remainder of her rent per month. She lived there for 15 years. After she passed away I contacted her landlord and his exact words were, “I’m sorry for your loss, could you send me her portion of the rent.” Massachusetts landlords have no heart. I’m sorry you are dealing with this. So many Vermont residents are dealing with people that are not in love with Vermont and the ideas we hold dearly.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_ix37b1i wrote

Here’s your fix:

Focus on a plan, not hate. Get off of the rental train.

1. Find a friend or relative who would want to help you and willing to let you move in rent-free for one year if it would be life changing for you.

2. During that year save every penny you can. No alcohol. No cigarettes. No entertainment. 100% frugal. Follow frugal tips on Facebook and reddit. Take on extra jobs. Build that bank account. Sacrifice. Do some chores every day to show your gratitude.

3. During that year check the real estate market daily and learn about the first-time home buyer programs that do zero down and/or 0% interest.

4. Buy a house. Not one with foundation, roof, or septic problems. Even if all you can afford is a rundown shitty shack. Bonus if the lot is big enough so you can add onto it over time. Take in room mates if you need to to make ends meet.

5. Gradually fix it up. One project at a time. As a kindness to your neighbors, start with the exterior and yard, curb appeal.

It works. I’ve seen it done.

Or move to Mississippi, Alabama, or Arkansas. The most affordable states. Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewdepietro/2022/02/09/most-and-least-expensive-states-to-live-in-2022/

Why pay $2,000/mo to rent when there are homes for sale with less than $500/mo costs?

−2