Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pro_conser333 t1_iwklvga wrote

Your wife is right. My family has been here for 6 years and Vermont is the worst at plowing roads. Montpelier the capitol city has left roads unplowed for days after a storm. I was involved in a car accident because of unplowed roads a few years ago because another driver couldn’t stop his car at the red light of a major intersection. MA, NY, CT and NH all do a better job than here. And good luck to those residents that live in rural Vermont because state plows like to pretend those roads don’t exist in a snowstorm.

−1

yhtomitn64 t1_iwkys46 wrote

Well good to know! I actually was driving on the highway in VT once and the plow had put a diagonal 2 foot wall of snow from entrance ramp across the highway. When I hit it my truck spun around. I was able to keep going luckily! Now drive a Prius which sees snow and automatically goes back into my driveway.

pro_conser333 t1_iwkz8wj wrote

That must have been a scary experience! I’ve seen a few plows on the highway over the past few years do some dangerous things. I’m not sure why Vermont is so bad at snow removal. Be safe out there.

−2

bjp120111 t1_iws7wa4 wrote

The AOT and most every other municipality are currently hiring drivers at all levels. If you would like change, be that change. Thank you for your support.

pro_conser333 t1_iwtz7ie wrote

No thank you. I have a job that I love and would definitely not like being up all hours of the day and night during a storm. Maybe the plow drivers that are working could do their job rather than sitting in parking lots. Last winter my husband and I slid down a icy snowy hill along with several other cars and saw several plows just sitting there with drivers drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. Waiting for the storm to stop is not typically the way to handle snow removal.

EDIT: My husband was a plow driver for Massachusetts and was paid very well. He wouldn’t even think of climbing into a plow truck for the state of Vermont for the money they pay. Pay low wages, get shitty drivers. Pay prevailing wages, get great drivers.