Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ohnofluffy t1_iwl27ip wrote

I’m heading home for the holidays from NYC. I was going to drive up today (from about 30 min away from Canadian border so rural, northern VT) but am hearing mixed things on the driving conditions. Any suggestions?

jackington17 OP t1_iwl2z6x wrote

I am down in southern VT so I can't say much for the roads there... but I have heard several accounts from friends and family out and about today that the roads are currently not great. I would honestly let the plows do their thing before you go... I haven't even looked at the weather though so I do not know when the weather will be better. It's hailing and raining where I am now which makes the roads much worse.

ohnofluffy t1_iwl3out wrote

Thanks so much!! I’m hearing the same. I’m a good snow driver but I never trust “wintry mix.”

Unique-Public-8594 t1_iwlepic wrote

What tires do you have on? AWD?

ohnofluffy t1_iwllj22 wrote

Thanks for responding!! Subaru Outback, AWD. It’s fantastic in the winter. But I’m one of those people whose driven in bad conditions enough to prefer to hunker down and go later when the roads are sound.

Twombls t1_iwl4a42 wrote

It will probably be fine in the afternoon. The storm is supposed to let up around 12 ish

DirtyBirdNJ t1_iwl5sw9 wrote

Just take your time, plan extra stops and dont rush

Worst case wait a day and come tomorrow its pretty wet and heavy snow it will be gone quick

ohnofluffy t1_iwllxxd wrote

Thanks for responding! Love the Vermont Reddit!

That’s where I’m at now - I take small routes all the way up so I’m going to hold off until the storm passes.

Current_Procedure_20 t1_iwl51w5 wrote

I’m northern Vermont near the boarder going towards Montreal, and I would say it’s sloushy but I saw the plows out. I’d give it a little before heading out.

ohnofluffy t1_iwlmdev wrote

Thank you! That’s where I’m headed — from what my family says, it’s coming down there now.

whaletacochamp t1_iwlci65 wrote

Franklin county here and roads are considerably bad. My wife has an AWD vehicle and while her snow tires aren’t on yet she’s got good all seasons which have handled early snow storms with ease in the past. She’s also driven in VT for 15 years and is a good driver in the snow. She almost went off the road twice today, which makes me think there’s something different about this snow fall.

WantDastardlyBack t1_iwlhnyb wrote

I'm in Franklin County with AWD (been driving since the 80s so plenty of experience) and winters on. Roads were fine for me. Plows are out now too. Our town plow has been by twice.

ohnofluffy t1_iwlmitt wrote

Yeahhhh…. Been there, I want nothing to do with that. Thanks for letting me know!

Meow_Meow_4_Life t1_iwn05q5 wrote

What do you think is different about it? Thanks for your thoughts...

whaletacochamp t1_iwndalj wrote

Seems like there was a good bit of icy slush underneath the snow.