Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

k75ct t1_ix0fvjq wrote

Can you bring this to the press?

lindrios OP t1_ix0gi9j wrote

I have brought this to the attention of many different press agencies and no one is interested in the story. I'm assuming that homeless people don't make "good stories"

anoftz t1_ix0jiia wrote

Was VT Digger one of the ones you tried? I would think this fits into their overall raison d'etre...

lindrios OP t1_ix0k4vn wrote

I just submitted this article to them, hopefully it will gain some traction this time around

deadowl t1_ix11chn wrote

Siegel brought up some of this at the debates with Phil Scott. Hoffer has also made a report about some of this as state auditor. This is a sign of corruption through-and-through.

State Auditor's report

lindrios OP t1_ix12rr0 wrote

The Homeless Report that Seven Days did at the bottom of that article was very insightful. A lot of valuable information in there.

deadowl t1_ix12x6b wrote

They're basically giving massive handouts to the hospitality industry instead of actually addressing housing issues.

lindrios OP t1_ix13vqi wrote

CORRECT!!

Lets call this what it really is, a "gross misallocation of resources while neglecting those in need"

Syncope7 t1_ix15nap wrote

Do you have their statement about profitability in writing? Or was it only said? If it's not in writing I could understand why press agencies wouldn't take the story, plausible deniability.

lindrios OP t1_ix15zqc wrote

I unfortunately do not have that on record, it was a verbal conversation.

Puzzleheaded_Post_26 t1_ix17ss5 wrote

Are any of the people (being housed in these conditions) refugees? If so, that might be the angle to take to get the media interested.

lindrios OP t1_ix18lm1 wrote

Refugees have their own separate programs pertaining to housing. However the same issues exist within those programs. The majority of the refugees around Winooski are housed in units owned by Bove's and Handy's. It's my understanding that the sheer number of units owned by these landlords gives them the upper hand when dealing with agencies/organizations.

Green_Message_6376 t1_ix0mn40 wrote

Wasn't there a similar issue reported about Harbor Place last year? seven days or VT digger. Same stories as OPs. There was a worker from COTS that complained and advocated for her clients, and she got 'fired', but not for this story of course, for different reasons (yeah right). A few of Vermont's non-profits could use an enema.

charliedontplaydat t1_ix35ttc wrote

Can you link me the COTS story please? I’m very interested

Green_Message_6376 t1_ix4ax37 wrote

I have no linking talent. But if you Google 'Seven Days: Kicked to the Curb' You'll get the article.

Left-Link5070 t1_ix3ytgy wrote

The not for profit world is very political. Just like everything else these days

hockeyschtick t1_ix11k06 wrote

This. Bring it to the press. The state needs to be doing walkthroughs, finding violations and pulling money out when necessary.

[deleted] t1_ix3rm9s wrote

The media wants us to hate each other. They're on the same side as the corporate hotel owners in the class war. If you bring this to the media, they'll make it an exposé on how your tax dollars are being wasted, and demonize the residents for trashing this poor job creator's property.

Better off trying to make it go viral on social media IMO. Harder for the owners of this country to control the narrative that way... The few decent journalists that remain can find it here too, and risk getting fired by the bosses when they report on it fairly.