Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BudsKind802 t1_izalyty wrote

By making it voluntary for businesses instead of a broad-based tax for everyone, he's fucked over the working poor who work for McD's, Walgreens, Maplefields and all the other worker-hostile companies in the state that won't touch this program with a 10-foot pole.

thisoneisnotasbad t1_izc3qt2 wrote

McDonalds actually has better benefits than a lot of small business.

I know it goes against you narrative but it is true. For the people who stay a year and the franchise starts to invest in, they do better then a lot of local construction companies who hire in the spring and fire in the fall.

https://www.zippia.com/mcdonald-s-careers-7238/benefits/

Nutmegdog1959 t1_izb3rdu wrote

So what's new? The people that need it the most, suffer the most.

Longjumping_Vast_797 t1_ize2v03 wrote

Vermont small business already gets crushed, and this will be the death knell for countless businesses.

[deleted] t1_iznzgi7 wrote

How do you figure? It's voluntary. I can't say I have sympathy for business owners instead of the women that have a child and have to go right back to work. If you can't afford to pay your workers a living wage and treat them like human beings then maybe your business just isn't sustainable.

you_give_me_coupon t1_izclein wrote

It's all part of the state government's plan: get the icky poor working people out, get the out-of-state WFH yuppies in.

thisoneisnotasbad t1_iznj2la wrote

This is because in the past 50 years the majority of state politicians are those WFH yuppies. Current makeup has over 50% born in NY/MA/CT and other wealthy suburbs in east coast cities. People wonder why traditional VT values are no longer represented, this is the reason. The people making laws are doing so with the values they think makes VT what it is but are unfortunately, often mistaken. This is not to say they have ill intent, just that they are wrong. How can you grow up in a wealthy suburb of Boston or New Haven and know what is best to keep VT the place you wanted to move?

We have as a state, been heavily gentrified in the past 30 years. The guy stealing shit in Rutland is the outcome of this. Rent and land costs force natives into what are effectively ghettos while rich out of staters buy old farm houses then insist on a state licensure program to work on them.

VT is fucked. When Scott is leaves office we will be even more fucked.

lantonas t1_izb62qc wrote

Maybe we should make the high earning workers pay for those low earners.

HeadPen5724 t1_izdtvj8 wrote

With the worker shortage these places are all offering sign on bonus and wage increases that are far more costly then the $16/month this optional program will cost them. Some won’t opt in, but the ones trying to attract workers will likely add it.
And at this point they’re all trying to find workers.

5teerPike t1_izaot8h wrote

The republican who didn't increase the minimum wage also hates working families you say?

SomeConstructionGuy t1_izbtw6u wrote

This is bullshit.

As an employer and employee and parent… just make it mandatory. If we solved this and child care we’d get so many young families to stay in the state. This would be a massive amount of stress taken away from young families.

I’d gladly pay into this so some one else can take time to be with their sick kids without missing a rent payment.

SwamBeansWife t1_izbs34t wrote

So....employers could purchase insurance that mirrors the short term disability insurance that some employers already offer their employees? And since it is optional the employers who should purchase it likely won't. Am I missing something here? This is NOT the paid family leave our state needs.

Me_Myself_And_IAM t1_izbislm wrote

Gonna ask again. Why do we keep voting him back in?

He keeps the lights on?, and he get’s the job done, or is this an effort by the natives to worship and support a sort of aristocracy and fiefdom.

Has VT always had this odd sort of caste system? I’m serious. Why? It seems really counter productive to all our best interests.

Intelligent-Hunt7557 t1_izdcntr wrote

Re-election in VT =

1. appear to be a ‘nice guy,’ not obviously cruel
  2. don’t make waves/ piss anyone off
  3. appear to be centrist so you can avoid the worst of ‘both sides’ while enjoying the best
  4. VTers have daddy issues- gravitas counts or at least that’s how many rationalize it and plenty don’t have it, hard to separate from
  5. competence/experience- his opp. was not long in it.

The vetoes alone should be a disqualifier. He really does put a quiet calm face on shitty RNC policies.

murrly t1_izf5v7f wrote

I mean if the dems put up a competent candidate they might have a chance, but so far they have all been terrible.

TheMohawk t1_izc8go9 wrote

Ohh wow 60 percent for 6 weeks that's totally enough to care for a newborn since at 6 weeks it should be out the door and working.

I'm happy for SOME movement but we are so fucking far behind every other country for what we offer to people trying to create families.

SomeConstructionGuy t1_izcb1ib wrote

A rough C-section recovery is more than 6 weeks. Average is 6 weeks.

With this proposal we’re basically saying take the minimal time you need to be able to work again. What about being with your newborn and not having your life destroyed by the stress and transition on top of postpartum.

If we give a shit about families at all 6 weeks is a joke.

RetiscentSun t1_izagpl4 wrote

No thank you

Dr_JackMeoff OP t1_izaparl wrote

In what sense?

RetiscentSun t1_izaset4 wrote

> By making it voluntary for businesses instead of a broad-based tax for everyone, he's fucked over the working poor who work for McD's, Walgreens, Maplefields and all the other worker-hostile companies in the state that won't touch this program with a 10-foot pole.

What they said ^

Deathcrush t1_izasqpz wrote

Let's hope the democratic supermajority makes this moot.

Dr_JackMeoff OP t1_izav6xx wrote

Would they have enough votes to override a Gov. veto?

dordemartinovic t1_izawxie wrote

Yes, if they can unify—sometimes… erratic… people get elected. Need 100, have 104.

blaurv t1_ize0c1g wrote

Where are all the Dems/“Progs” singing Phil Scott’s praises? I was under the impression he was a “great leader” and not a “typical Republican”.

KindaPretentious t1_izcq5fg wrote

Oh, dear. We can probably fix this. I vote for him because he’s convinced me that he listens to Vermonters. If we speak up about this and he ignores it, he’ll lose my trust.

darcy1805 t1_izetwaq wrote

He vetoed paid family leave twice. I don’t get how he still has any progressive votes.