Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BudsKind802 t1_izalyty wrote

By making it voluntary for businesses instead of a broad-based tax for everyone, he's fucked over the working poor who work for McD's, Walgreens, Maplefields and all the other worker-hostile companies in the state that won't touch this program with a 10-foot pole.

thisoneisnotasbad t1_izc3qt2 wrote

McDonalds actually has better benefits than a lot of small business.

I know it goes against you narrative but it is true. For the people who stay a year and the franchise starts to invest in, they do better then a lot of local construction companies who hire in the spring and fire in the fall.

https://www.zippia.com/mcdonald-s-careers-7238/benefits/

Nutmegdog1959 t1_izb3rdu wrote

So what's new? The people that need it the most, suffer the most.

Longjumping_Vast_797 t1_ize2v03 wrote

Vermont small business already gets crushed, and this will be the death knell for countless businesses.

[deleted] t1_iznzgi7 wrote

How do you figure? It's voluntary. I can't say I have sympathy for business owners instead of the women that have a child and have to go right back to work. If you can't afford to pay your workers a living wage and treat them like human beings then maybe your business just isn't sustainable.

you_give_me_coupon t1_izclein wrote

It's all part of the state government's plan: get the icky poor working people out, get the out-of-state WFH yuppies in.

thisoneisnotasbad t1_iznj2la wrote

This is because in the past 50 years the majority of state politicians are those WFH yuppies. Current makeup has over 50% born in NY/MA/CT and other wealthy suburbs in east coast cities. People wonder why traditional VT values are no longer represented, this is the reason. The people making laws are doing so with the values they think makes VT what it is but are unfortunately, often mistaken. This is not to say they have ill intent, just that they are wrong. How can you grow up in a wealthy suburb of Boston or New Haven and know what is best to keep VT the place you wanted to move?

We have as a state, been heavily gentrified in the past 30 years. The guy stealing shit in Rutland is the outcome of this. Rent and land costs force natives into what are effectively ghettos while rich out of staters buy old farm houses then insist on a state licensure program to work on them.

VT is fucked. When Scott is leaves office we will be even more fucked.

lantonas t1_izb62qc wrote

Maybe we should make the high earning workers pay for those low earners.

HeadPen5724 t1_izdtvj8 wrote

With the worker shortage these places are all offering sign on bonus and wage increases that are far more costly then the $16/month this optional program will cost them. Some won’t opt in, but the ones trying to attract workers will likely add it.
And at this point they’re all trying to find workers.