Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sugarbush94 t1_izm5852 wrote

Get yourself a mattress heater. They don't use a lot of electricity. IMO, it's the best bang for the buck when it comes to staying warm when it's cold. Far better than an old school electric blanket.

thisoneisnotasbad t1_izl5eoo wrote

I can relate man, I spent one winter with the furnace set to 57. It was cold as fuck but at least the pipes didn’t freeze.

bobsizzle t1_izp58i4 wrote

Energy costs in Vermont are ridiculous. Oil is nuts. Electricity is higher than most other states. Cost of living makes a middle class salary feel poor. sometimes you make a little too much to qualify for some of the programs poorer people get, but have a similar lifestyle because of subsidized food, heat, medical, etc. Maybe you have 2 cars instead of 1.

Heating the room you're in is sometimes the way to go. My basement stays well above freezing, where most of my pipes reside. I've never had a pipe freeze, but if that is an issue, get some heat tape or insulation for your pipes. I turn my heat off if I'm gone all day. But it does suck to still spend a ton to live in a house that isn't freezing, but definitely isn't comfortable. A good sweater and warm socks help.

PurpleBookDragon t1_iznpayl wrote

You may already know this, but reminder to open the doors of any cupboards that have pipes in them (like under the kitchen and bathroom sinks) overnight and on especially cold days

Trajikbpm t1_izmf5np wrote

Our electric bill has already gone up from the heaters but it's still cheaper than oil.

We're definitely putting in the wood stove next year.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_izl9hwy wrote

Can you take in a room mate or two maybe? Probably not. Just wish I had a fix for you.

DamonKatze t1_izm4mum wrote

Have you considered an alternate form of heat to augment your furnace? Is there a chimney of some sort you could use for a wood stove? If not, then perhaps an electric oil-filled radiator heater might help keep you warm while you turn the furnace low. You could also see if someone in the area would conduct a heating audit to help identify ways to improve heat efficiency.

PurpleBookDragon t1_iznowm8 wrote

Electric oil-filled radiators are great and much safer than other types of space heaters

Loosh_03062 t1_iznr5dm wrote

Enjoy the sound of bursting pipes.

FourteenthCylon t1_izq7u6m wrote

While you have my sympathy, be very careful with the thermostat at 45 degrees. If there's a cold spot in your house with water pipes in it, they could freeze. This is especially true if you have any pipes running in an exterior wall. If you do set the thermostat that low, keep checking every day to make sure your water is still running everywhere. Leave your bathroom doors open when you're not in them. Leave the cabinet doors under the kitchen and bathroom sinks open. If a pipe does freeze, warm it up quickly, by turning the house thermostat back up to 65 if necessary. Be especially careful if your house has CPVC pipes, as these will completely shatter if they freeze solid. If you have to, leave a trickle of water running from the sink.

Ej1992 t1_izpnzjw wrote

I have a wood furnace. Two cords of wood and a space heater for the bedroom.

kevinhcraig t1_j14r7cv wrote

What are you all paying for LP? I just got my Dec bill and the fill up was only $1.76 per gallon. I am not complaining by any means but still confused at why the price is so low.

thepastpassed_ t1_izpg1da wrote

I’m only using my pellet stove. Oil prices are highway robbery right now.