Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

numetalbeatsjazz t1_izj2p4n wrote

Most popular trails are going to be so packed down that snowshoes become pointless unless you hit them right after snowfall. I use micro spikes for like 90% of my winter hiking. Lesser traveled trails and summits often need them, so find a way to comfortably strap them to your pack so you don't have to wear them all the time when you don't need them. Get collapsible poles too so you can store them when the trail is easy going.

Get snow shoes with spikes on the bottom and a heel lift if you plan on doing anything other than flat trails. Spikes help you grip and the heel lift makes inclines waaay easier.

There isn't much difference to your gait with snow shoes vs not. Your stance may be slightly wider, which always makes me feel the hike more in my hips than when hiking without. Practice in your yard before trying to climb Mansfield and get your stride down. It'll prob feel awkward at first but you should pick it up quickly.

I love winter hiking! It's so peaceful with snow dampening noises and lack of humans on the trails. I've had Mt Abe's summit all to myself with the bluest ski I had ever seen one day. Granted it was -10 at the top, but surprisingly not windy.

Enjoy and stay off the XC/backcountry ski tracks!

JerryKook t1_izji3ps wrote

>Most popular trails are going to be so packed down that snowshoes become pointless unless you hit them right after snowfall. I use micro spikes for like 90% of my winter hiking

Totally agree. Our snowshoes rarely leave our basement. Our micro spikes are far more useful and far more fun. They are also handy for walking on an icy driveway.

I don't care for snowshoeing. It's basically trudging. This is what we have for micro spikes.

Twombls t1_izjquan wrote

>Most popular trails are going to be so packed down that snowshoes become pointless unless you hit them right after snowfall.

I would reccomend carrying them on your pack if you can and are unfamiliar terrain though. Ran into a lot of situations when exploring where I thought a trail would be popular. And its not. And I end up postholeing to my waist and turning around.

Dr_JackMeoff OP t1_izk8oax wrote

Good point about popular trails. If I want to do peaks in the winter, would I still be better off with microspikes? I've dabbled in them, but mostly just done winter hiking with boots. Rarely used snowshoes.

numetalbeatsjazz t1_izmh8f8 wrote

If you don’t have neither and can only afford one, go with micro spikes. I use the yaktrax diamond grips and they are perfect for most trails. I do Pico every winter and never need my snow shoes. But the year I did Abe in -10 I was the only person out after some fresh snow so the snow shoes were necessary.
I bring them for every hike but often times leave them in my car if I see the trail is packed down and crowded. If it’s questionable, I strap them to my pack with some bungee cords.
In my 10 years of hiking here I’ve used my snow shoes less than a dozen times. I’m not an avid hiker but I get out often enough. Plus I don’t know where you are but I’m on a mountain and have gotten like 6” cumulative so far this winter. All of it’s gone now.