Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

thisoneisnotasbad t1_j69ce8l wrote

Is it not frozen? That is weird. It is one of the places to catch big winter cusk. (Freshwater cod)

GrubSprings t1_j69ugwk wrote

Looks like we have a stretch of sub zero nights coming next week. Hopefully she freezes up good. Ready to chase the Burbot.

iwantttopettthekitty t1_j69dnp5 wrote

I was there yesterday climbing and thought it would be frozen. I know this winter has been crappy but other lakes and ponds are frozen/ at least have some ice. Even lake champlain has ice. I was wondering if it's something about the location or hydrology or what, but we were definitely wondering why it wasn't frozen.

thisoneisnotasbad t1_j69eewr wrote

It is strange. It was frozen last year. Most of the lakes is checked out at least have an ice covering even if it's not safe to access.

iwantttopettthekitty t1_j69f2zr wrote

That's what we were thinking, super strange. Not even a little ice in the shallow bays...

SilverKelpie t1_j6ai0m5 wrote

It started freezing around the shoreline in late December and then we had the warm spell after New Years and I haven’t seen a bit of ice since. It’s unsettling.

thisoneisnotasbad t1_j6b06bg wrote

My wild ass uneducated guess is that something caused the underground springs which feed it to be a little warmer than normal and the lack of consistent cold temps we have had are not enough to break through and start the freeze process.