Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kn4v3VT t1_j2wchfl wrote

Fun fact! Climate happens across the entirety of the planet, and the atmosphere doesn’t recognize international borders. What that means is if it can happen there it can happen here because our CO2 emissions and their CO2 emissions combine when the wind blows. So either humans get over their arbitrary bullshit and get our act together or we’ll all be getting dead together.

Outrageous-Outside61 OP t1_j2wo430 wrote

Let’s be real, we aren’t going to get our act together. I wish that wasn’t the case, but climate change is going to cause more conflict not greater cooperation.

Yes, it can happen here just like it’s happening there, but my point is that it’s not happening here. Saying things are an effect of climate change when they aren’t doesn’t move people towards adapting to climate change and making the correct responses, IMO it instead moves people to dismiss climate change.

kn4v3VT t1_j2wpeg8 wrote

It is happening here, it’s a global problem regardless of where the symptoms present themselves. If you have chicken pox, you don’t point at the area of skin inbetween the red bumps and say “no bump here, I am not sick”.

It seems you’re trying to say “you’re not using 💯 precision in the way you present climate change and this is off putting to some people and counter productive.” And you’re right, we are generally never super precise when we communicate complicated problems as a society. Humans tend to simplify concepts to improve the ability to communicate the main idea. If this is something that bothers you, don’t poke the bear online and get grumpy when it growls at you.

If you mean to say that by simplifying climate change on Reddit I am going to cause people to take it less seriously- sure that may happen but honestly it doesn’t matter. If I get just one more person to think about it just a little more I’ve achieved my goal. It’s here, it’s happening, it’s happening to Vermont (ask your local ski resort what they’re seeing). I don’t care if you think todays weather is not because of global climate change - the big picture is what’s important, and being proactively alarmist about this problem is better than saying it’s not happening in my back yard so it’s not my problem. Again you’re being very precise with your argument, but you’re not accurate.