Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ItsDijital t1_j22xxep wrote

What's crazy to think is that these programmers from the 1980's, laying the groundwork for the actual future of computing and the bedrock of all future programming, where paid about $60k in today's dollars.

Had these same guys been born 30 years later they'd be getting 10x that to do much easier work.

spann0r t1_j23ckju wrote

People like this change the world. They wouldn't be satisfied doing easier work.

[deleted] t1_j25889l wrote

[deleted]

ragnarmcryan t1_j25qsqe wrote

If they’re getting paid 60k to work on autonomous vehicles, it really says a lot about that employer. Sounds like labor exploitation

foxh8er t1_j25zgy7 wrote

lol, I mean $600k, but yeah

ragnarmcryan t1_j26241m wrote

Now that just sounds ridiculous. Usually engineers with experience make around $100-250k. Maybe it's $600k after stock options vest and are sold, but not as a salary (not on the average at least).

What company are you referring to? I assume not Tesla since their average salaries are much lower than that.

rtplor t1_j285uic wrote

What was the average salary in US back then in 70-80s??? 600 a week??

Wow!1 11800 annual for 1975 (annual) (C) census.gov

brainsapper t1_j25fk9m wrote

I only recently learned about Bell Labs. Still shocked at how much innovation came out of a single organization.

sonicjesus t1_j21yweu wrote

It really is astounding that Unix, it's bastard children Linux, iOs and Android are secondhand to Windows, which was written on the back of a napkin by a drunken dwarf masturbating in a dumpster believing he was summoning a demon.

How I heard it at least.

The greasy hair, turtleneck, dramatic snapping of the glasses, deafeningly loud keyboards, this video has it all.

−5

vAltyR47 t1_j22tr6x wrote

And UNIX's successor, Plan 9 from Bell Labs, got barely any traction at all. Still has it's die-hard fans, though.

maximm t1_j24t3bd wrote

Second to Windows? You obviously do not work in IT. No one uses windows, its for end users to read facebook and play video games. Not for actual work. The backbone of internet runs on *nix, all your websites and games including reddit.

fogcat5 t1_j25lqsp wrote

it's crazy to think how much runs on containers inside virtualized linux instances that are running in hypervisors on hardware that also probably runs linux. years ago, people just installed the os and code straight onto a a server.