Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

J3ster14 t1_j2542zi wrote

But you could learn and earn a dollars worth of avalanche, so score!

SidharthaGalt t1_j256hr8 wrote

Your bad bets on options don’t mean oil is a bad investment. I put a couple of thousand each into a mix of high yield oil and gas last December, and they’re not only my biggest gainers, they pay a lot of dividends. We won’t be off oil for a very long time, and unregulated energy companies have regularly show the ability to set prices as needed to sustain profits.

Resident_Magician109 t1_j25jljr wrote

Yeah I'm up another 60% this year making my total gains over 2 years over 300%.

Ancient_Implement_30 t1_j272yhz wrote

I was king oil in 2020.

Sold out in 2022.

Now, i am short!

Resident_Magician109 t1_j274v76 wrote

Short? Bold. I think it has more to run. But the days of big returns are over. I think we are going to repeat 1965-1980 so anything that generates cash flow and dividends is the place to be. I think oil is safe, but I also sold out.

Ancient_Implement_30 t1_j277q95 wrote

I bought OXY at 13. So i did really well.

Now short HES.

If you look at oil, historically, the late 70s and late 2000s. Those were the only times it really held over $80/ppb.

Oil stocks have continued rallying while oil has had a strong pull back.

My bet is that oil will stay under $80. And oil stocks will pull back 20-30% next year.

But i can always cover and get out. Not married to the trade! Just going off of data.

Resident_Magician109 t1_j2794ou wrote

Remember, we were releasing 1 million bbl a day for much of this year and we weren't the only country releasing reserves. Additionally 1/7th of the world's population has been on lockdown on and off. Also, most projections have peak global demand somewhere around a decade from now with sustained consumption around today's level until 2050 or so.

I don't know what next year holds, but that was my thesis getting in back in 2020.

Right now my biggest holding is in ET which is currently paying roughly 8% in dividends and plans to raise dividends to over 10% current value by Q1.

I hope the price dips 30% next year. I wouldn't mind accumulating 15% additional shares.

Ancient_Implement_30 t1_j27h71a wrote

That’s all fine.

I am looking at historically. Only twice has oil gone above $100/ppb in consecutive years. Late 70s with Iran. And during the last bush war.

That’s it. Well, also 1860s. But that’s way out there.

Hacking_the_Gibson t1_j27b273 wrote

You must be me. I had OXY at like $23.

I am thinking about a short as well. Global central banks are doing the inverse of 2020 right now, whatever is necessary to kill demand.

IANG_teetboy t1_j28henr wrote

This is solid DD. Thanks. I love it when people trade based on data and not feelings.

Forsaken-Secret-7398 OP t1_j256qog wrote

What does your strategy look like?

changinginthebigsky t1_j25pup1 wrote

literally just buying oil etfs and holding them, nothing else.... you honestly have to be trying to lose money if your investing in (and not against) oil and somehow down ytd. check any etf. if you bought and held you'd be wildly up. maybe start there first, then move to options.

SidharthaGalt t1_j2759su wrote

Buy low, harvest dividends, hold forever. BPT requires some watching, however, as it only pays out as long as oil is above their cost of production (about $66 be barrel but expected to rise as the field is depleted). I wont live long enough to see demand for oil and gas to fall significantly.

takaminenine t1_j25e3cp wrote

At least you didn’t buy open oil futures contracts and have to scramble to figure out how to get a cargo shipping or storage contract in place before taking delivery next month..

That-Whereas3367 t1_j25nw7i wrote

You don't take delivery unless you have storage. Somebody will always take it of your hands at the right price.

MikeLitoris5 t1_j25q2h8 wrote

If you take that AVAX learn and earn, you'll have $2.84. That's still 80% more than what most of us have!

Pale_Wrongdoer5155 t1_j28qapq wrote

Fancy seeing you here mike, what’s a moon farmer doing outside his natural habitat r/cc

KymbboSlice t1_j262ymm wrote

This sub used to ban people for posting losses less than $10k.

spac420 t1_j25njzn wrote

*Laughs in Nigerian

AutoModerator t1_j253bji wrote

Hey, if you haven't already, please reply to this comment with your positions and what led you to enter or exit them!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

FATPEPPAPIGGAMER420 t1_j25gb7r wrote

I'm all in on $NINE, oil stonks are going to the moon you nerd, shoulda just bought stonks

Adorable_Ad8515 t1_j25u1wv wrote

the way you like to get fucked, oil is deff your friend. your just using it wrong.

Necessary-Future1103 t1_j25y910 wrote

My friend at this point you should take the AVAX lesson to cop this $1. Right there it’s almost double profits of what you have!

serious_brain_damage t1_j26ffv0 wrote

You must be a true regard to lose money on oil. It has been the best investment for the past 2 years.

MTBiscuitzz t1_j26lqr6 wrote

Can’t go green with oil

AdamantlyAtom t1_j26msp0 wrote

Gotta get that Big Green Energy up fam!! 📈

yonas852 t1_j26mtxk wrote

At least you can earn $1 from Avax

AdamantlyAtom t1_j26ncif wrote

How was the ride down?? Asking for a friend

Forsaken-Secret-7398 OP t1_j26nj07 wrote

Heart wrenching and depressing. I kept thinking it was going to turn the corner and every day closer to expiration it would drop dramatically downward until it spiraled into zeros and it was too late to sell

rocketMoonApe t1_j26xhvp wrote

I used multiple oils looking at this.

buylowbuyhigh t1_j271ffh wrote

I see you use the word investing rather loosely

Glad-Sale5254 t1_j273r2b wrote

It’s clear to see where options trading was discovered by this guy

CIAHerpes t1_j27qr70 wrote

Um I think you mean options are not your friend. If you had put all that money into Chevron shares, you would still be down probably, but not like 99.99% down. And you would have a long term dividend stock that has 0% chance of bankruptcy that you could hold for decades without worrying