Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AKblazer45 t1_j6m2mtx wrote

Should have seen the craziness on Reddit back in 2018. Beyond and impossible burger were going to completely destroy the entire meat industry.

CalyShadezz t1_j6md27k wrote

I remember when the Impossible Whopper came out and people were like "Finally, I can eat at Burger King!". Like fuck man, I only go to Burger King when I was in a pinch...how many Vegans were driving past Burger Kings getting sad before the Imposible Whopper?

waxheartzZz t1_j6n3q5t wrote

50% of the time they just gave me actual meat when I ordered it, lmfao. you can clearly taste / see when it is impossible vs meat

lovsicfrs t1_j6nntrl wrote

The part that kills me is like…

You’re going to go eat at a place that still profits off slaughtering animals and using their remains as food for everyone else going there? As a vegan, shouldn’t you be against any establishment that practices this? Wild.

Federal-Artichoke-73 t1_j6nqr7h wrote

Actually, if you drive up the sales of Impossible Whopper vs animal meat, the wise business decision is to increase consumption of the former thus driving down demand for meat. The outcome is that fewer animals are killed. Win

AKblazer45 t1_j6nzm2t wrote

Will now I’m going to go eat a pound of ground burger just to keep the price down!

pingforhelp t1_j6o6ga5 wrote

No lol this only holds true if an already existing animal meat consumer switches to impossible

If a fresh vegan who is not already a bk customer goes and gets an impossible whopper than it doesn't change their demand of animal meat at all and no less animals are slaughtered.

A fresh vegan should avoid bk at all costs because the only way to reduce the number of animals slaughtered is if the business disappears and by giving them any money at all you are preventing that

−2

Me_Melissa t1_j6oettn wrote

Purchasing the impossible option in large numbers would keep it on the menu longer, normalizing it and enticing many to try it at least once. That would lower the cultural barrier to entry for any meat substitute, which helps the concept's viability. That would be a very long play.

Thanmandrathor t1_j6nq5ab wrote

By that logic you can’t shop at a grocery store either.

lovsicfrs t1_j6nvk3n wrote

I think it’s different when it’s good being cooked Vs food you are purchasing to take home to your own cooking environment.

You are assuming that the same cooking utensils are not being used and as someone who has worked fast food, good luck!

Thanmandrathor t1_j6nx77z wrote

I avoid fast food as a general rule, it’s literally my last food option when nothing else is available.

But both places bring in meat to sell onto consumers and profit off doing so, so I think claiming that as the reason to avoid fast food as a vegan is a bit of a stretch.

I also made no assumptions about how stuff is cooked in a fast food place, I merely pointed out that both places profit off selling meat.

I do in fact eat vegan. I am also under no illusion that staff in a fast food, or any other restaurant that isn’t solely plant-based for that matter, are going to cross-contaminate the foods, because they either don’t give enough of a shit, or are too stupid to know better. As I have no allergies the cross-contamination is not a huge issue for me personally. If I eat at a BK it would be a calculated risk at that point.

buttnuggetscrunchy t1_j6p2m3q wrote

Guess vegans shouldn't go to grocery stores either based off that logic

lovsicfrs t1_j6p46ky wrote

They shouldn’t but what do I know. Kind of weird to have such a hard stance because of acts you don’t agree with but then actively put money into the pockets of those who benefit from said acts and continue on with them.

Beginning_Pudding_69 t1_j6ocu52 wrote

Two BKs closed by my house. They were getting absolutely smacked by Wendys, McDonald’s, and Chik.

legopego5142 t1_j6n0eme wrote

Shit doesn’t even taste good and half the time it’s cooked on the same grill so its covered in fat and grease anyway

CoolFirefighter930 t1_j6otjqo wrote

it comes out of the pack greasey. If you compare nutrition value of lean hamburger compared to beyond meat, lean hamburger wins. Check it out

Google it.

GhostintheSchall t1_j6n0v25 wrote

When I mentioned how disgusting Beyond Meat smells in those threads, all the replies kept telling me it was because I was a bad cook 🤣

Yasai101 t1_j6n4oeh wrote

i remembered seeing the commercials and laugh thinking how this company will go bankrupt in a matter of time. vegetable meats, lol only the biggest suckers would buy this.