Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

C0333 t1_ja4jyf5 wrote

This is what really gets me about DC’s response to property crimes. Not everybody just goes to insurance or has money to replace things. Good luck OP. Depending where you come from, you might be able to find a cash job with others of your countrymen at restaurant etc.

Silly_Praline_8476 OP t1_ja4l5kd wrote

Thank you so much! I’ll look into the restaurants and see if they have cash jobs.

empire88 t1_ja4cmip wrote

Does your school not have some sort of financial assistance for these types of things?

Silly_Praline_8476 OP t1_ja4e4od wrote

They do! I’ve applied for financial assistance, but not sure I’ll get it since I’ve previously received money to help with dental/medical expenses.

[deleted] t1_ja4syco wrote

[deleted]

Silly_Praline_8476 OP t1_ja4ztmd wrote

Oh I didn’t think about that. Thank you so much! I’m going to look into local Glassdoor and Facebook see what jobs are out there

Legal_Airport t1_ja4f7x7 wrote

Consider door dash

Silly_Praline_8476 OP t1_ja4kyns wrote

Doordash and alike companies in other industries (pet sitting, food delivery, etc.) all require SSN, unfortunately. And according to regulations I can’t have taxable income outside campus job (which I have, but it’s a grad student stipend), and field-related job/internship during the summer.

JonKneeThen t1_ja4m2sk wrote

So you’re saying your insurance would rather pay for your death expenses than replacing your airbags? Fucking state farm is wild these days.

Silly_Praline_8476 OP t1_ja4nfef wrote

Lol

solidrecommendations t1_ja4yms0 wrote

Do you only have liability insurance? Or a really high deductible?

Silly_Praline_8476 OP t1_ja4zhpo wrote

Yep, only a liability insurance. I didn’t think comprehensive package would be necessary. But I’m definitely going to change the policy now.

solidrecommendations t1_ja50638 wrote

That’s a drag, sorry. I hope you get the funds you need to get a new airbag

Silly_Praline_8476 OP t1_ja511k4 wrote

Thank you! Yeah that’s really the most expansive item and probably why they took it

jundog18 t1_ja4t6ri wrote

What skills do you have? Could you offer some kind of tutoring? I see lots of posts like that offering tutoring, babysitting, etc in my neighborhood Facebook group.

Silly_Praline_8476 OP t1_ja50k9p wrote

I can tutor economics and Russian language! I’m also pretty good with dogs and occasionally babysit dogs of professors from my department, though its fairly infrequent. I also used to play tennis semi-pro, but it’s been 7 years since I played. I thought to maybe see whether I can get a coaching position at the local tennis club. And now that you’ve mentioned Facebook I’ll try to see whether there are any jobs in my neighborhood.

leafonawall t1_ja5881r wrote

Sounds like you have good relationships! Ask them if they know of any student or parents looking for a tutor in economics and/or Russian. And post electronically or in writing offering tutoring services at coffee shops on and off college campus and coffee shops near expensive high schools (ie get their parents).

Matt_Tress t1_ja592iw wrote

Depends what your PhD is in but I highly recommend tutoring. Highest $/hr cash available in the right subjects.

tuukkas t1_ja59tju wrote

Hi, immigration attorney here (but not your immigration attorney, this comment does not create an attorney-client relationship). I know things seem bleak right now, but working on a student visa like this can screw you over and you should really look into the potential consequences. But if you’re going to do it, don’t publicly seek tips on reddit for how to break U.S. immigration law.