Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

solidrecommendations t1_j91cs9r wrote

If you’re far enough up Georgia that someone is branding an Airbnb as being in 16th st heights, you’re really in brightwood. There is not a metro stop within reasonable walking distance, but there are busses. I personally would exercise a bit of extra caution in that area at night, but there’s really no reason for you to be walking to anything but a bus because there’s nothing up that way (better to Uber at night in that area anyhow). Overall you should be fine but it isn’t the best area (Georgia ave).

EveryPapaya57 t1_j91d1fd wrote

That doesn’t sound like 16th street heights.

Georgia and what?

pastagirl27 OP t1_j92z3i3 wrote

Looks like it’s on the block between Allison and webster

AnonyJustAName t1_j91jn6t wrote

Look up the address on MPD crime cards for the past year, also look up the address of the Georgia Ave metro. Close to GA metro is not what I would call safe, Far from the metro is a long walk in the dark in an unfamiliar and not super safe area. I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

https://crimecards.dc.gov/

drr71-2 t1_j91n942 wrote

100%!

IcyWillow1193 t1_j91g2lm wrote

A surprisingly cheap place with no/few reviews is a gamble.

If it were near the Metro, they would mention that on the website since it's an important selling point for many people and would let them charge a higher price.

Sixteenth Street Heights goes as far south as Spring Rd, which would put you right next to Petworth Metro station, and a lot of people would mistakenly call that Petworth, all of which adds to the likelihood that this place is further north and not near the Metro.

You'll likely have to rely on the bus, which actually isn't too bad. Frequent service on Georgia, and an express line available.

In terms of safety, being further up Georgia is actually way better overall, since Petworth Metro station is the site of almost daily violent incidents.

hemlockone t1_j91jtfr wrote

I've lived in 16th Street Heights for a decade and would definitely walk all day and night, but that said it is a city. The area around Georgia/Kennedy can be a bit sketchy, though. Around Georgia/Upshur is lively and filled with stores. As you move west to 14/15/16 streets it's tree-lined residential.

As for metro, the nearest is probably Georgia Ave / Petworth. It's a 15 minute walk to Upshur, 30 minute to Kennedy. You might also try the buses. The 70/79 run between those intersections, the metro, and downtown all day long. It's somewhat rowdy around school getting out and at night, but otherwise a frequent city bus. The 52/54/59 on 14th Street is less rowdy and to a different part of downtown.

joymarie21 t1_j91ctnq wrote

You can look on WMATA.com to see if it's near a metro. No one can tell you without an address.

202markb t1_j91n8bd wrote

Echoing what others have said here. 16th street heights proper is a great neighborhood between 16th street on the West, and Georgia Ave on the East. Most say it is between Walter Reed to the North and Spring Road to the South. To give more information we’d need to know the cross street/hundred block of Georgia Ave.

pastagirl27 OP t1_j92z1m2 wrote

Looks like it’s between allison and Webster!

202markb t1_j93975o wrote

Good neighborhood IMO. Georgia Ave itself needs a little help but 14th near Decatur has a great cafe ( Highlands) and you won’t lack for transportation options. (In case you didn’t know DC streets from S to N run alphabetical, and when the alphabet finishes they run alphabetical again in a series of one, two, and three syllable words. So between Web-ster and Al-li-son is the transition between the third and fourth alphabetic series :) ) The West side of Georgia is 16th Street Heights, the East side is Brightwood. Just some trivia.

hemlockone t1_j9bsgve wrote

Great cafe suggestion. Even closer to them is Buna Coffeehouse, which is also awesome. Slight modification is that the east side of Georgia at that latitude is Petworth, not Brightwood.

Baloncesto t1_j91cq24 wrote

It's just the same as any other city, so long as you keep your wits about you you'll be fine. As for metro, you can check Google maps for the exact location. Georgia Ave NW is long and without an address we can't answer your questions.

kseniya322 t1_j91nscv wrote

It all depends on where on GA ave you are.

NPRjunkieDC t1_j91ehi7 wrote

If you are using Airbnb, the whole point are the reviews !

I'm an Airbnb user big-time and was a Superhost with 4 Airbnbs at 16th/U. Across the street from Starbucks

My advice is to check if an address is safe. Look at the nearest Starbucks. Should be a block away

−6

chumbawumba_bruh t1_j91ngpj wrote

Man I couldn’t hate this post more if I tried. “I contributed to the housing shortage by converting housing units into hotels” AND “When traveling to a new city, judge them by the presence of boring national chains”.

NPRjunkieDC t1_j91noez wrote

The point is safety. Starbucks would not put their $$$ in a dangerous area . I'm not a client of Walmart or Starbucks

−4