Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

quickbanishment t1_j8zry4k wrote

The other posts saying "normal city smarts" and "the whole city requires a reasonable degree of caution" are kinda sugarcoating things. Bladensburg Road by anybody's honest measure is gonna require a higher degree of caution than average. We don't know your comfort level. Are you a single woman living alone? Is it your first time living in a city this size? If so, it might not be the gentlest introduction. Some people will have good experiences, some won't. A bad experience could be life changing. If you are concerned, there are safer places to live. There are no prizes for charging ahead and there's no shame in looking out for yourself and choosing a less challenging neighborhood for your first place in DC.

PsychologicalItem437 t1_j92dahu wrote

This all the way. Trinidad at night is rough. If you want similar prices but way safer, go south of h street and west of 15th st or go to eckington (side closest to bloomingdale).

Brave-Cream391 t1_j8z4pmi wrote

Def lots of great hang out spots over there. Namely the park across the street from the cvs.

BrightThru2014 t1_j8zuav2 wrote

I absolutely would not live there if I could afford anywhere else.

roadnotaken t1_j8z3fz5 wrote

I would say the whole city requires a reasonable degree of caution. This particular area requires a higher level, but I do know people who live there and have no issues. It does have a history of crime and violence, but areas change. Check the crime map and decide for yourself.

mastakebob t1_j915r5r wrote

I love a block east of bladensburg in Carver Langston, but the vibe is the same as where you'll be.

It's not as nice or as clean as NW, and the rents reflect that. You're walking distance to H st (bars and restaurants) and Aldi and Safeway. More bike lanes are being put in, and barracks row, Chinatown, and U st are short Ubers away. It's not a bad spot to be.

It is a gentrifying area, so a wide range of people live there. 99% just wanna go about their lives, but bladensburg does have a number of hangout spots that can be intimidating. If you don't wanna engage, just walk with a purpose and don't slow down. I've never had any trouble, and brief eye contact with an acknowledging head nod and 'good morning' goes a long way. I am a medium sized white male, fwiw.

Bottom line: basic city smarts and courtesies will see you through.

Nilay431 t1_j901cd8 wrote

I live in Trinidad as far away from Bladensburg rd as possible, but still nearby. It is in the 2nd wave of its gentrification, so it is a mix of younger upper middle class people, awesome older population and some lowlifes that mostly keep to themselves but the occasional crackhead passes out on my porch(this would happen to me when I lived on u street too). Just be careful, but no one wants to mess with someone who is going to cause them trouble. I have never had any issues with anyone but that CVS area is unnerving, every time I go there for a vaccine or something I have deal with aggressive panhandlers but that’s about it.

I do have to say if I was a renter I would live somewhere else but this area is a great place to buy, I have never had an investment that gained as much value as my house in Trinidad.

FuriousGeorge06 t1_j919to3 wrote

As a fellow Trinidadian, this is the comment to pay attention to. I love this neighborhood, but there are nearby areas to watch out for.

butth0lez t1_j92f948 wrote

This comment right here is why i like to be mean to my white neighbors.

−6

MarkinDC24 t1_j90rdn8 wrote

My first rental was in Trinidad in 2015. Boy - things have changed enormously since then. To some degree, development has been slow but is on track to pick up. If you are buying in the area, expect to see a big uptick in equity in 5-10 years. For example, Hechinger Mall currently is dilapidated, and has a ton of folks meandering around it. If you are newer to the area, please be situational aware in that area.

In reality, as some have pointed out you will have to be a little more situationally aware in Trinidad/Bladensburg than other parts of the city. With that said, you know the area is slowly being redeveloped, which often times increases public safety.

Development Tracker:

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blog/the-residential-developments-bursting-from-the-starburst-intersection/17318

rightupyourali t1_j91amcp wrote

Honestly, if you have to ask Reddit, it’s probably not for you.

Edited to add: I lived in Trinidad in 2008-2009, my first year living in DC after college. I am white woman and loved it for a lot of reasons, didn’t love it for some other reasons. I also grew up in a 60%+ Black rural county, so that factored into my comfort level with living there. Before deciding for sure, I spent a couple of days walking around the neighborhood both during the day and at night to get a sense of it and see how people reacted to me being there. I would suggest you do something similar if you are considering neighborhoods you aren’t sure you’re going to be inherently comfortable in.

drr71-2 t1_j90rk6c wrote

You'll get used to the crime in the area, just don't be a victim of it.... it's so simple. /S

abaybailz t1_j92tlb8 wrote

I've lived in the southeast corner of the neighborhood since 2018, pretty close to Bladensburg, and while I like it and have never felt my personal safety was threatened (I'm a white 35F), I would say it's a block-by-block kind of neighborhood. My block feels safe to me, I know many of my neighbors, and there are several older long term residents who kind of keep an eye out during the day. We keep our car parked on the street and have never had an issue. Worst that's happened in my personal experience is package theft and sometimes you will encounter people on the street (or occasionally, in your yard) who may be experiencing a mental health or drug issue.

All that said, there are other blocks in the neighborhood I will generally avoid if I'm out for a walk. I agree with others who suggest taking a look around during the day and during the night to see how you feel. I like living in Trinidad, but it's where I landed after 10+ years in the city and might not be a great first choice if you're not moving from another urban area where you've had some similar experiences.

tasty_beverage_dew t1_j905rer wrote

Get cameras on your house. Don't answer the door. Don't leave anything, I mean anything, in your vehicle. Don't face obsess your phone while walking.

The north side of Trinidad is still messed up, the south side has lots of urban pioneer hipsters.

Playful-Translator49 t1_j8zdj0x wrote

You’ll be fine just use normal city smarts and leave nothing in your car

GEV46 t1_j8zwu92 wrote

This. I've lived in Trinidad close to where you're talking for 7 years with no issues past package theft. I'd stay off Bladensburg if you can, though.

foxy-coxy t1_j8zgyi4 wrote

>If someone is to exercise a reasonable degree of caution, would they be okay?

Yes

Novel_Worldliness t1_j91jwuq wrote

I lived in Trinidad at 1326 FL Ave for about a year and it wasn’t a safe area. My car was broken into twice, heard frequent gun shots in the neighborhood, obvious drug activity, threatened several times for being “in the wrong neighborhood” probably because I was wearing a suit coming home from work. I moved to Arlington, VA last year and couldn’t be happier, strongly advise against that part of DC.

kseniya322 t1_j91ndlt wrote

I would not recommend this area to anyone that’s just moving to DC. If you’ve lived here for a while, it is much more of an informed choice. That said, there is a reason it is less expensive and you get more space for your money there. I would definitely visit, walk and look around, and talk to people that live in any prospective neighborhood I’m moving to.

Jewell84 t1_j93bogo wrote

I’ve lived in the DC area for 18 years. 8 of which in NE DC. My paternal side of the family are DC natives. Also based out of NE. So I know the area pretty well.

Trinidad has come all long way, but I would still avoid Bladensburg road. I hate to say it, but it’s still hella sketchy.

Other parts of NE are fine. I lived in Hill East for a while, currently in Eckington. Bloomingdale, Noma, and other parts of Trinidad are generally safer.

[deleted] OP t1_j8zceqm wrote

[deleted]

Zoroasker t1_j8zdhi8 wrote

Bladensburg is the border between the two neighborhoods! Are you thinking Benning? What’s the deal with 18th and 19th?

churner-burner t1_j8zdrzt wrote

My bad, you are correct. I was thinking of Benning.

That stretch of Benning has booze hounds and corner boys all the time. It's just better to avoid it.

z_drive_resonance t1_j8zxxcy wrote

I live here, I dont walk in the neighborhood usually, but when I do Ive never had issues. It definitely feels sketchy though. If you drive, I hope you find a place with garage parking

Brave-Cream391 t1_j94a6bk wrote

Great men’s health club over there.

It’s called the glorious men’s health spa check it out

butth0lez t1_j92foix wrote

You're going to see bad shit and youre either going to be comfortable with it or you should choose another place to live. Also don't expect the cops to care.

Lukiitus89 t1_j91co12 wrote

You’re moving into a war zone I hope you know. People are going to lie to you and tell you it’s a nice neighborhood but it’s not. Always watch your back and secure your home.

−8

Sir_penguinasto t1_j921rev wrote

Clearly you've never stepped foot in the area

Lukiitus89 t1_j94rd4v wrote

I grew up in DC madam. That neighborhood is a dump

butth0lez t1_j92f4qh wrote

You haven't seen the shoot out videos on the north side of Trinidad then.

−1